Report: Duo arrested after dogs found chained, emaciated on property in Conway area

Updated: Jul. 31, 2018 at 12:16 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Two people were arrested after several dogs were reportedly found chained, emaciated and injured at a home in the Conway area.

Destiny Nautica Freeman, 25, and Peter Maurice Freeman, 35, are both charged with 11 counts of ill treatment of animals. Online records show it is Mr. Freeman's second offense.

On July 25, officers responded to a home on Hucks Road for a welfare check on several dogs, according to an Horry County Police Department incident report. Police found dogs on the property with heavy chains attached to their collars. Officers walked the property and found two small blue Pitbull mixes who appeared to be underweight in a dog pen. The report says a blue/white Pitbull mix was found behind a single-wide mobile home that was being lived in. Behind the home, police also found a blackish/brown Pitbull mix.

According to the report, a "severely emaciated" buckskin Pitbull mix was found near the dog pen. Police also say several dogs on the property were on large logging chains. Only one dog had food in its bowl but the food was "completely wet and sour," the report shows. Police added several dogs had what appeared to be fresh water, while others had stagnant green water with mosquito larva swimming in it.

The report shows that all of the dogs were observed to be malnourished with ribs and hip bones showing.  Police approached a Mastiff/Pitbull mix wearing a heavy logging chain that was attached to a trailer. The dog tried to stand up, but had a broken left leg with the bone protruding, the report says. Because of that dog's condition, it was removed from the property and taken to the Horry County Animal Care Center for treatment.

On July 10, police responded to the property for a welfare check and spoke with Destiny Freeman. An officer walked the property with her, expressing concerns that some of the dogs were underweight, did not have access to clean water and some of the shelters needed to be replaced or fixed. Police told Freeman to cut the grass and remove the "accumulation on the property" and said they would be back in two weeks to make sure it was done, the report confirms.

Police returned to the property on July 13 but failed to see any progress. According to the report, police spoke with Peter Freeman, informing him what needed to be done. Officers later presented the case to a judge who ordered the removal of the dogs from the property; warrants were then obtained for the suspects.

Online records show both suspects were released Monday from the J. Reuben Long Detention Center on a $500 bond.

Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All rights reserved.