Robinson sentenced to 40 years in prison in death of Angie Pipkin

Published: Nov. 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM EST|Updated: Nov. 14, 2016 at 11:21 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Randy Robinson (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)
Randy Robinson (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - The man who pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and obstruction of justice in connection to the 2014 disappearance of Angie Pipkin was sentenced to 40 years in prison at a sentencing hearing on Monday.

Randy Gale Robinson, 49, received 30 years for the voluntary manslaughter charge and 10 years for the obstruction of justice charges. The judge ordered the sentences to be served consecutively, or one after the other.

Originally, Robinson was charged with murder before entering into the plea deal last week.

At Monday's hearing, the prosecution went through the case with the judge. That included noting that investigators were able to confirm that Pipkin and Robinson were together the night she disappeared by using cell phone towers to locate both phones at Robinson's residence in Murrells Inlet. Several calls were made to Pipkin's friends using both phones.

Several members of the Angie Pipkins family went before the judge, including her 9-year-old daughter, asking for the maximum sentence. Robinson himself spoke before the court as well, refusing to acknowledge the Pipkin family.

"I didn't really expect an apology just because of how he is and the whole situation, but the actual reality of it that he didn't even mention that when he stood up was kind of crazy." said Angie Pipkin's oldest daughter, Taylor. "He's a monster. He really is. My mom was one of the best people who ever walked this earth, and I just encourage people to seriously look at their family and tell them every day how much you love them because you never know when you're going to have that last moment. He will never know."

Pipkin, 32, was reported missing by her family in January 2014. Her remains were found in May of that year along the Big Pee Dee River in Florence County.

According to the state, when the body was found, only the torso was discovered first. The legs, arms and head had been removed.

The torso was mostly just bones from decay, the prosecution said during Monday's hearing.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.