Darlington County School District accepts school bus driver applications
DARLINGTON COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The Darlington School District is looking for school bus drivers, and will host driver training classes November 14-16 at the Darlington County Institute of Technology located at 160 Pinedale Drive in Darlington from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., according to Communications Specialist Christopher McKagen.
Drivers can earn between $10.97 and $15.82 per hour.
In order to be eligible, a person must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED and have a valid South Carolina driver's license for at least one year, according to McKagen.
Below are the following steps to become a school bus driver:
- Complete an application for employment and paperwork to attend a training class.
- Pass a SLED background check.
- Pass a check of license history with the DMV.
- Complete State Department of Education classroom training (Four days).
- Obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) permit.
- Pass a physical and a drug test.
- Train with district instructors for a length of time to be able to perform pre-trip skills and driving.
- Pass a physical performance test.
- Obtain CDL license with proper endorsements.
- Ride a route for five days with a driver.
The deadline to enroll for the class is Thursday, November 10.
For more information or an application, call the Darlington County School District Office of Transportation at 843-398-2313.
Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.