Horry County Police conduct 'forensic reenactment' at Peachtree Landing

Police presence at Peachtree Landing
Published: Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM EST|Updated: Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Police and crime scene investigators cleared the scene at Peachtree Boat Landing Friday afternoon after conducting a 'forensic reenactment' at the place where Heather Elvis' car was found abandoned days after she was reported missing in mid-December 2013.

Our reporter at the scene confirmed that about 16 vehicles were at the boat landing near Socastee, including those from Horry County Police, Horry County Police Crime Scene Unit, and the Department of Natural Resources. There were also boats in the Waccamaw River near the landing, our reporter confirms.

Horry County Police spokesman Lt. Robert Kegler said that police were there for a forensic reenactment of an open investigation. He said they were out there for part of Thursday night and Friday since about 7:30 a.m.

Lt. Kegler later clarified: "Today we are working with equipment at the boat landing to determine possible tidal flows and patterns that may assist in recovery of evidence. We do have divers present to perform grid searches and evidence recovery as appropriate."

DNR spokesman Cpl. Robert McCollough said divers were on scene at the request of the State Law Enforcement Division.

While murder charges have been filed against Tammy and Sidney Moorer in connection to her disappearance, Heather Elvis has still not been found.

"We're still hoping and praying that she is alive. But...we know in the back of our minds, that isn't the case," expressed Bradley Parker, friends with the Elvis family.

Parker stood at the scene today and watched as police launched the forensic re-enactment.

"Whatever they have to do to bring Heather home. It's good to see them actively working on it," he said.

Vigil candles and missing posters for the missing 20-year-old woman remain scattered around the landing, which was closed to the public Friday morning. It reopened after police left the scene Friday afternoon at about 2:30 p.m.

Copyright 2014 WMBF News. All rights reserved.