Investigation begins after hazmat situation at hotel

Investigation begins after hazmat situation at hotel
Source: WMBF News Reporter Monique Blair
Source: WMBF News Reporter Monique Blair

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A third party company is being brought in to investigate a hazmat situation that occurred Monday evening at the Landmark Resort at 1501 South Ocean Boulevard.

The resort's Marketing and Public Relations Director Matt Klugman told WMBF News an employee put an acid based compound into the wrong tanker which was both stored inside the pool room.

Klugman said the employee who was handling the chemicals was wearing the proper equipment, and that's why he wasn't injured more severely.

Landmark Resort is bringing in a third party company to investigate and according to Klugman they'll be holding an employee training to make sure something like this never happens again.

Twelve people were taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center by EMS, and at first, two more drove themselves. Then four more people showed up with the same respiratory issues for a total of 18 patients. All have been treated and released from the hospital.

Grand Strand Regional was prepared for 30 to 40 patients after receiving the initial report from the hotel, but has treated much fewer than that.

Maureen Wootten is staying at the Landmark Resort from Delaware. She said she wasn't in the resort at the time the chemicals were released, but she was shocked to later hear the news. "It turned out to be a more serious incident than we had been lead to believe."

Crews did not evacuate the hotel completely. The lower floors were cleared as a precaution.

Penny Rogers, is also visiting from Delaware. Rogers said one of guests staying with her bus trip at the Landmark Resort had to be taken to the hospital. "Mistakes happen, but for me I wouldn't be in the pool today."

Klugman said all the pools at the resort were open and made available to guests.

Myrtle Beach Fire Marshal Bruce Arnel said in the last six months they've had a few cases involving the mishandling of pool chemicals here in the Grand Strand.

Copyright 2013 WMBF News. All rights reserved.