Former Dillon High student pleads guilty to carrying gun

Miracle Alexant Harley (Source: Dillon Police)
Miracle Alexant Harley (Source: Dillon Police)

DILLON, SC (WMBF) Former Dillon High student Miracle Harley appeared in court Wednesday, entering a plea after being accused of carrying a gun to school and threatening a rival student in May.

Eighteen-year-old Miracle Harley was taken into custody and charged with attempted murder on May 3 after police say she brought a gun into Dillon High School.

Dillon High was on lock down for about two hours that morning after Harley presented a gun on school property around 8 a.m.

"Yea, I was running," said freshman, Zaria McCollum.

"It scared me," said freshman, Shamar Reeves.

"I heard everybody saying gun, gun so I ran outside, that's what I did, I didn't know what to do," said senior Dalisha Spears.<

That quiet morning at Dillon High School quickly turned terrifying.

Police say around 8 a.m. Thursday, 18 year-old Miracle Harley pulled a gun on another female student in the cafeteria.

Students who witnessed the incident say the victim told Harley she had no time for her and went to throw away her breakfast tray.

Police say that's when Harley pointed a handgun at her.

"I really was concerned, like this is just terrible," said Spears.

Witnesses say several students were trying to pull the victim into the hallway, out of harms' way, but Harley chased them with the gun.

Moments later, the school's resource officer caught Harley, and no one was hurt.

Students say things got out of hand when word got around about a gun on campus.

"We heard everybody running, screamed, first we thought it was a fight, it wasn't a fight," said Spears.

Word quickly spread to parents and community members who rushed to the school to see what was going on.

"She said someone had just told her that there was a shooting at the high school, I was surprised, so I momentarily just dropped my work stuff," said parent Iris Wright.

"When something like this happens it's our job and duty to go check out and see what's going on, you tell me everything's alright but yet there still guns and everything going on," said parent William Dunson.

Some parents told WMBF News they expect their children to be safe in school, and hope the school district takes action to make sure incidents like this don't happen again.

"They need a better solution than what they got going on even if they have to come out with metal detectors," said Dunson.

"They need to do something, metal detectors, but they got to do something to keep the schools safe, it's just crazy... It is," said Spears.

A former student of Dillon High School created a petition shortly after this incident to bring metal detectors to all Dillon High School entrances.

Dillon County School District Four superintendent, Ray Rogers said school officials are on top of the incident.

Rogers said school officials are on top of this incident and there will be more officers on campus Friday, who will be checking for any suspicious activity.

A police report released only days after the incident revealed the victim filed a harassment complaint against Harley, alleging that Harley had been following her and threatened to kill her.

Assistant Solicitor with the Dillon County Solicitor's Office Shipp Daniel tells WMBF News that Miracle Harley appeared in court before Judge Paul Burch on Wednesday.

Harley pleaded guilty to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, possession of a gun in schools and disturbing schools.

She was originally charged with attempted murder but that charge was reduced. Harley will be sentenced at a later date, Daniel adds.

The maximum sentence for the assault and battery charge is 20 years.

Copyright 2012 WMBF News. All rights reserved.