Missed classes from bomb threats worry St. James parents
HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF)- Parents of St. James High School students are concerned about missed class time due to evacuations after several bomb threats in about two weeks.
The latest threat came Tuesday, when students evacuated after staff found a note in the bathroom.
According to Principal Vann Pennell while the bomb squad searched the school, students and staff spent hours in the football stadium. Students missed class, and some parents say the time is adding up with each additional threat.
"They've missed a lot of class time during this, a lot of class time, a lot of instructional time. I mean there's a lot of stuff that goes on," said parent Corrie Guyton.
Guyton says she thinks there should be a plan to make up class and adds it could convince the people behind the threats to stop.
"If each day was a made up day just as if it were a snow day or what have you I think that would be a deterrent to whoever is doing it. Obviously they don't want to be in school. That's why they're doing it," said Guyton.
Pennell says classes won't be made up, but instead students and teachers will have to work harder to keep up. He says teachers are willing to accommodate students who feel they need extra help or that they are behind.
The threats began November 29, when staff found a note written on a bathroom wall warning a bomb would be detonated the next day. Since then four more threats followed both via phone and written means.
Copyright 2011 WMBF News. All rights reserved.