NCDOT announces winners of safety poster contest
RALEIGH, NC (WMBF) - The NC Department of Transportation today announced the winners of the 2009 Work Zone Safety Poster Contest.
The following winners were chosen from entries submitted by school-aged children across North Carolina:
- First place – Kayla Styles, Riverside Elementary School, Newland
- Second place – Shane Greene, Greenlee Primary School, Spruce Pine
- Third place – Austin Greene, Greenlee Primary School, Spruce Pine
- First place – Nell Pendley, Deyton Elementary School, Spruce Pine
- Second place – Kathleen Joines, Sparta School, Sparta
- Third place – Jacob Roten, Sparta School, Sparta
- First place – Rachel Taylor, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
- Second place – Bridgette Boykin, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
- Third place – Jacy Barnes, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
- First place – Melissa Dean, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
- Second place – Holly Gibson, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
- Third place – Jackson Wall, Southern Nash High School, Bailey
The winning entries will be featured in a 12-month calendar, which will be distributed to the winners and their classes. Winners will also receive $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place from the Carolinas Associated General Contractors, as well as certificates from NCDOT.
The poster contest is held to increase work zone safety awareness and education among students. School children from across the state were invited and encouraged to participate.
Copyright 2009 WMBF News. All rights reserved.