Bond denied for man charged in deadly Myrtle Beach hit-and-run

Published: Jun. 25, 2023 at 9:15 AM EDT|Updated: Jun. 28, 2023 at 9:12 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) - A man will remain behind bars in Myrtle Beach after being charged in a deadly hit-and-run last month.

The Myrtle Beach Police Department provided an update late Saturday, saying that 60-year-old Walter Hayes was taken into custody. Hayes is charged with leaving the scene of a collision involving death and driving without a license.

His charges stem from a May 18 crash in the area of Stalvey Avenue and Jennings Street that left 30-year-old Nelson Green, Jr. dead.

Members of Green’s family were in the courtroom and spoke during Hayes’ hearing on Sunday.

“We don’t get a second chance,” said Maria Hoyte, Green’s fiancé. “I know we should forgive him and should call bygones, bygones, but he wants to go to work, and we want to see Nelson up, and we gone don’t get that choice. The last time we saw him is when they was pumping him to get him back.”

During the hearing, police also noted that Hayes has no ties to Myrtle Beach and Judge Glenn Ohanesian did find him to be a flight risk and a “substantial danger to the community.”

Hayes was ultimately denied bond, with his next court date set for July 12. Online records show he’s being held at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center as of Sunday evening.

Patricia Green, the victim’s mother, told WMBF Investigates that she heard the sounds of someone screaming for help outside her home and later found her son, Nelson Green Jr., who told her he had been hit by a vehicle.

The Horry County Coroner’s Office later confirmed Nelson Green Jr. died at the hospital five hours after the incident happened.

Documents WMBF Investigates obtained through a Freedom of Information Act state MBPD officers were later called to the scene to check on a man lying in the roadway who was discovered to have severe injuries.

The report continued saying upon further investigation it was determined that the man had been struck by a vehicle.

According to an arrest warrant, a witness in the car at the time of the crash told police that Hayes was driving.

The family once again spoke to WMBF Investigates as the investigation reached the one-month mark. still demanding answers a month later.

Stay with WMBF News for updates.