Horry County School Board unanimously approves $890M+ budget without tax increase
District adds almost 30 new positions
HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WMBF) - Horry County School Board’s Monday night meeting includes a vote on a proposed $890.8 million budget for the Fiscal Year 2023.
Included in the budget is a $2,000 salary increase for teachers and a state-mandated 8% salary increase for bus drivers. Another $330,000 would be used to increase security and performance measures.
Another budget highlight is a STEP (longevity) increase or a 2% raise for all regular school district employees, totaling $7.3 million.
Board members approved the budget with an additional $150K for an outside firm to review security procedures at all schools in the district.
“That’s why we decided to change the budget. You’re talking about almost $900 million and we increased the budget enough to bring an outside source in,” said Ken Richardson, the school board chairman.
Horry County Schools’ director of communications, Lisa Bourcier, says there won’t be any additional taxes for county residents.
“It is a balanced budget, so we are not asking for a tax increase this school year. A lot of it is continuing what we’re doing now but it does have some additional enhancements,” she said.
The Board also approved a 1.25% increase in the employer retirement rate.
The new budget also includes increased staffing in several departments. The district released the following list to WMBF News:
Additional positions, changes
- Risk Manager
- ESOL – 6.5 teachers. This increase will allow the district to meet state requirements)
- Rehabilitative Behavioral Health Services (RBHS) – 5 counselors. Additional positions due to increase in caseload.
- Health Services – 3 flex nurses and 2 Nursing Supervisor 1 positions
- Technology – 9 positions. Help Desk (1 HD manager, 2 HD Technician 1), 1- network specialist, 1-systems administrator, and 4-PDL device technicians 1.
- Technology (software and hardware)
- Custodians – 6 part-time, 2 full-time positions
- Increase custodial days from 190 to 220-day contract. This will eliminate the need to pay positive pay for the summer cleaning of each school
- Athletics: Coaching Supplement Increase - Supplements have not been adjusted in the past eight years. Currently below average in 86% of our coaching positions. This proposal is phase 1 of the proposed 3-year plan and will adjust supplements to meet the average.
Copyright 2022 WMBF. All rights reserved.