LIST: Grand Strand, Pee Dee schools move to virtual, distance learning due to winter weather threat
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) – Horry County and Pee Dee school districts are making the move to virtual learning as a winter storm approaches the area.
The storm could cause significant ice accumulation starting Friday. Travel impacts and power outages are likely.
Below is a list of school districts that have announced virtual learning days.
COASTAL CAROLINA UNIVERSITY
- All classes at Coastal Carolina University locations have been redirected to online instruction and the campus will be closed on Friday, Jan. 21, due to the winter weather conditions. University offices will be closed except for essential services. Essential services personnel will be contacted by their supervisors.
- Hicks Dining Hall and UP Dining Hall will be open Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. District 54 and Tradition Market P.O.D. will be open Friday and Saturday from noon to 9 p.m. All other locations will be closed Friday and Saturday.
- Shuttles and buses will not be in operation Friday or Saturday.
- All University events for Jan. 21 and Jan. 22 have been canceled.
- For more information or CCU updates, click here.
HORRY COUNTY SCHOOLS
- All Horry County Schools will have a distance learning day on Friday, Jan. 21 due to the anticipation of winter weather.
- All HCS employees will work remotely with the exception of school-based nutrition services staff, bus drivers, maintenance technicians, and building services staff. These employees will not report to work but will be allowed to make up the day based upon schedules provided by their supervisors.
- Schools and office buildings will be closed and all activities, including athletics and other events are canceled.
- Parents and staff members will receive email communications with more detailed information regarding Friday’s operational plans.
HORRY-GEORGETOWN TECHNICAL COLLEGE
- HGTC faculty, staff and students will operate remotely on Friday, Jan. 21.
- All services and instruction will be offered virtually, weather permitting.
- Students who are scheduled to complete internship or clinical requirements on Friday will receive instructions from their faculty members.
- HGTC will resume normal operations Monday unless notified otherwise.
FLORENCE 1 SCHOOLS
- Florence 1 Schools will have a virtual learning day on Friday, Jan. 21. There will be no athletic events, after-school activities or Extended Day Academy on that day.
- All students will be expected to complete assignments from home.
- A virtual learning meal bag consisting of breakfast and lunch will be distributed to all students at the end of the school day Thursday.
FLORENCE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 2
- Florence County School District 2 schools will operate on an eLearning/remote learning day on Friday, Jan. 21 due to the threat of winter weather
- All school activities including athletic events and afterschool will be canceled.
- Students in need of instructional assistance should contact their teacher.
- To accommodate for any issues students may encounter with completing assignments due to a loss of power or no internet access, students are responsible for submitting all assignments within five (5) days of returning to school.
- Meal Bags containing breakfast and lunch will be distributed at the end of the school day on Thursday, January 20, 2022.
FLORENCE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 3
- Florence County School District 3 has designated Friday, Jan. 21, as a virtual learning day for students. There will be no athletic events, after-school or extended day programs on that day.
- Schools will provide students with assignments to complete from home and turn in within five days.
- Food service staff will distribute a meal bag for all students at the end of the school day on Thursday, Jan. 20.
- Students and staff will return on Monday, Jan. 24.
FLORENCE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 5
- Florence County School District 5 will be closed for an E-Learning Day on Friday.
- All athletic and other after-school activities have been canceled.
FLORENCE-DARLINGTON TECHNICAL COLLEGE
- FDTC will operate remotely on Friday, Jan. 21, and Saturday, Jan. 22. Only staff essential for maintaining the campus should report for work.
- Essential staff will be notified by supervisory staff.
- FDTC will reopen on Monday, Jan. 24, at 8 a.m.
DARLINGTON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Darlington County School District will have an eLearning Day on Friday, Jan. 21 due to the inclement weather.
- All schools and district offices will be closed as students and employees work from home.
- The district will also be sending two meals worth of food home with all students today.
MARION COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Marion County School District will operate on an eLearning schedule on Friday, Jan. 21.
- All students will work from home using their devices to either attach to the internet or access their lessons saved on their hard drive.
- teachers will hold office hours from 9:00 a.m. – 11 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Students and/or parents may contact them via TEAMS, email or by phone during that time.
- Updated notifications will be sent to parents by phone, email, our district and school websites and social media
GEORGETOWN COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- All GCSD schools will have an eLearning day on Friday, Jan. 21, due to inclement weather.
- All schools and facilities will be closed, and all school activities, including athletic events scheduled for Friday and Saturday, are canceled.
- GCSD is an approved eLearning district, so this day will not have to be made up and asynchronous instruction will be provided to all students. Teachers will upload assignments into Google Classroom (or provide paper packets).
- Specific instructions will be communicated to students and parents from their students’ teachers and school.
- All assignments must be completed and turned in within five school days (Jan. 28) in order for the student to be marked present for the eLearning day.
DILLON SCHOOL DISTRICT THREE
- Dillon School District Three will have a virtual learning day on Friday, Jan. 21.
- All offices and schools will be closed.
MARLBORO COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- The Marlboro County School District will have a virtual learning day on Friday, Jan. 21.
- All students will be expected to complete assignments from home.
- Employees who can carry out their regular duties from home are asked to do so. Others will have to “double up” when school returns on Monday, Jan. 24.
- The basketball games scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 20 (at home) against Camden will still be played.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS OF ROBESON COUNTY
- The Public Schools of Robeson County will operate on an asynchronous remote learning schedule on Friday, Jan. 21. All athletic events scheduled on that day have been rescheduled.
- Asynchronous remote learning means there will be no live remote instruction. Teachers will prepare assignments that students can access and complete on their devices.
- The school district will operate on a normal schedule on Thursday, Jan. 20. High School EOC testing and exam make-up has been moved to this day.
- District CFA testing has been moved from Friday, Jan. 21, to Friday, Jan. 28.
This story will be updated as needed.
Copyright 2022 WMBF. All rights reserved.