HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WMBF) – Horry County Schools is explaining that a bus driver shortage on Monday is temporary, and is not caused by an influx of drivers leaving the school district.
An “extreme bus driver shortage” caused delays at two Horry County schools Monday afternoon.
Lisa Bourcier, the spokesperson with Horry County Schools, explained that the shortage is temporary because of the holiday week and drivers calling out. She said sometimes before the holiday break, there will be more absences.
According to a post on the Horry County Schools Socastee Area Bus Office’s Facebook page, the two Dec. 16 delays are:
Socastee Elementary Bus No. 27 will be held at the school until another bus can get back to get the students, causing students to be at least 15 minutes late being dropped off.
Forestbrook Middle Bus No. 27 will be held at the school until Bus No. 3 can get there to load the students and bring them home. This will make Bus No. 27 students get dropped off about 30 to 35 minutes later than normal.
A post on the St. James Area Bus Office’s Facebook page states students at Seaside Elementary School who normally ride Bus No. 14 will see changes on the morning route beginning Tuesday, Dec. 17. The change will remain in affect until further notice. The affected stops and their new approximate arrival times are:
- Glenns Bay Road and Coachman Lane - 6:07 a.m.
- Indian Oak Lane and Liberty Oak Lane - 6:08 a.m.
- 475 Sandy Lane - 6:13 a.m.
- 242 Lynco Lane and Palladium Drive - 6:19 a.m.
- Spanish Oak Drive and Misty Pine Drive - 6:22 a.m.
- 1468 Glenns Bay Road - 6:28 a.m.
- Glenns Bay Road and Garden Drive - 6:29 a.m.
- Avalon Drive and Montclair Drive - 6:30 a.m.
- Kessinger Drive and Tinkers Drive - 6:35 a.m.
- Kessinger Drive and Spalding Court - 6:37 a.m.
- 2184 Glenns Bay Road - 6:42 a.m.
Bourcier said that they have substitute bus drivers to help them handle the shortage, but also added that they’re always hiring bus drivers.
She said parents should always monitor school bus Facebook accounts in order to get updates on their child’s school bus.
Click here for your child’s school bus Facebook account.