Coroner: 13-year-old electrocuted playing with a metal pole

Coroner: 13-year-old electrocuted playing with a metal pole
Emergency responders attempted CPR, but the 13-year-old was pronounced dead at a medical center about an hour after the electrocution. (Source: Gray News)

ANDERSON, S.C. (WCSC) - South Carolina authorities say a 13-year-old boy was electrocuted when a metal pole he was playing with touched a power line.

The Anderson County Coroner's Office says Brayden D. Williford was killed Sunday night while playing with a metal pole outside a friend's house. The shock caused Williford to suffer cardiac arrest, authorities said.

Emergency responders attempted CPR, but Williford was pronounced dead at a medical center about an hour after the electrocution.

Adam Coats, the principal at Starr-Iva Middle School, released the following statement:

“It is with deep sadness that we acknowledge that Brayden Williford (7th Grade) was a student at Starr-Iva Middle School in Anderson School District Three. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his immediate family and friends during this very difficult time. Brayden was a wonderful student whose friends and teachers will miss him greatly. Again, our hearts are deeply saddened by this news.”

The coroner’s office ruled the death accidental. An investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.