MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) - The city of Myrtle Beach is looking to help residents prepare for potential flooding from Dorian.
According to a post on Mayor Brenda Bethune’s Facebook page, the city is setting up a pickup for sandbags Tuesday, Sept. 3, beginning at 12 p.m.
They can be picked up in the lot adjacent to the city services building, located at 921 N. Oak St., in Myrtle Beach.
The city of Conway announced Tuesday it has opened a sandbagging station in Sherwood Forest Park. The address is 1601 Sherwood Drive.
Free sand and sandbags are available for Conway residents. They are available on a first come, first served basis.
Georgetown County is also offering sandbags to help residents in advance of Hurricane Dorian. It will make sand and unfilled sandbags available to residents on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at four locations.
- North Santee Park, 1577 Mt. Zion Ave, Georgetown
- Plantersville Park, 180 Jackson Village Rd., Georgetown
- Waccamaw Middle School, 247 Wildcat Way, Pawleys Island
- Wachesaw Park, 3950 Old Kings Hwy., Murrells Inlet
Sandbags will be limited to 10 per person.
How to use sandbags:
- Sandbags should be filled to half full.
- When placing sandbags, fold the top of the sandbag down and rest bag on its folded top. It is important to place bags with the folded top toward the upstream or uphill direction to prevent bags from opening when water runs by them.
- Place each sandbag in layers, completing each layer prior to starting the next layer. Limit placement to two layers unless a building is used as a backing or sandbags are pyramided.
- Keep in mind that sandbags will not seal out water.
- Do not use straw or bales of hay in lieu of sandbags. They do not perform as well as sandbags and may be washed away.
Now is the time to download the WMBF News and Weather apps to keep you posted around the clock on changes with Hurricane Dorian. Our team will keep you posted on major changes and updates on the storm, news conferences, evacuation orders on the app. We will also send out push alerts with information that you need to know.
You can download our apps on your iPhone or Android.