High carbon monoxide levels force evacuation at Myrtle Beach hotel

High carbon monoxide levels force evacuation at Myrtle Beach hotel

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) – People inside a Myrtle Beach hotel were forced to evacuate Monday night due to a hazmat situation.

The Myrtle Beach Fire Department responded Monday night to the Hampton Inn on Celebrity Circle after reports of a carbon monoxide leak.

Fire crews checked the first floor and discovered it had high levels and requested assistance. As they continued to check, they found high levels on each floor and evacuated all hotel rooms.

Myrtle Beach Fire Chief Tom Gwyer said the highest carbon monoxide reading was at 100 parts per million.

“To put that in perspective, if you were to have say 800 parts per million over several hours that could certainly cause problems for an individual. So, it was nowhere near that level but it was certainly something that we wanted to address and find the root of the problem," Gwyer said.

Gwyer said that work was being done on the laundry machines and that may have been the cause of the carbon monoxide leak.

The gas in the building was shut off while crews investigated. Gwyer said carbon monoxide levels began to drop as crews ventilated the building.

At around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday, people were allowed to return to the hotel.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Copyright 2019 WMBF. All rights reserved.