Local MMA fighter preparing for World Championship - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Local MMA fighter preparing for World Championship

Fotini Kandris will represent Team USA in the IMMAF World Championships in November. (Source: WMBF Sports) Fotini Kandris will represent Team USA in the IMMAF World Championships in November. (Source: WMBF Sports)

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - By day, she works in her family's restaurant. By night, she's a MMA fighter. Fotini Kandris has gone from serving pancakes to whooping s inside the octagon.

"This is my passion. I'm very passionate about athletics and hard work and learning something new. This involves everything that makes me who I am," said MMA fighter Fotini Kandris.

In just two short years. Kandris has vastly improved her technique and habits. Never quitting or giving in.

"It's just been such an amazing game changer in my life and now I just can't imagine doing anything else. I just wanna see how far I can take this. Because trust me, I'll take it to the top."

Next month, along with Quitin Thomas from Florence. Fotini will represent Team USA in the International Mixed Martial Arts World Championships in the Middle East. Competing against 40 other nations, did she ever think this was possible?

"Never, I just, you know I'm one of those people, I go out there and do it if nobody was there to watch. I mean I do it because I love it."

Kandris' hard work has gotten her to this point in the cage. She's hoping it pays off on the bigger stage.

"I'm anticipating five fights. I'm anticipating fighting every fight and going to the end. So it's five fights in five days. I mean I'm up to the challenge," said Fotini Kandris.

The IMMAF World Championships takes place November 12-19 in Bahrain.

Copyright 2017 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

• Local NewsLocalMore>>

Sidewalk art looks to spread positivity in downtown Myrtle Beach

Saturday, April 21 2018 8:49 PM EDT2018-04-22 00:49:38 GMT
    100 pieces of artwork like this will be displayed throughout downtown on the sidewalks (Source: WMBF News)100 pieces of artwork like this will be displayed throughout downtown on the sidewalks (Source: WMBF News)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) -- Downtown redevelopment has been one of the focal points for the city of Myrtle Beach and work is underway to create a family friendly atmosphere. One of those project looks to spread positivity for those walking on sidewalks. 100 pieces of artwork like this will be displayed throughout downtown on the sidewalks. Larry Bond, owner of Art Burger in downtown Myrtle Beach has worked with several local artists as well as the Downtown Revitalization Committee t...

FIRST ALERT: Sunny Sunday followed by soggy start to work week

Saturday, April 21 2018 7:40 PM EDT2018-04-21 23:40:32 GMT
    Next 3 DaysNext 3 Days

While the end of the weekend will be clear, rain chances rise heading into Monday and Tuesday.  Sunday will see a similar temperature trend with readings in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

Multiple businesses destroyed in Robeson Co. fire

Saturday, April 21 2018 7:39 PM EDT2018-04-21 23:39:53 GMT
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay

Three businesses in a strip mall were destroyed by fire Thursday evening in Fairmont, according to Lumberton Police Chief Paul Ivey.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Woman loses home at auction to former attorney

Saturday, April 21 2018 11:11 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:11:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 5:23 AM EDT2018-04-22 09:23:15 GMT
    Sawyers watched her Florissant, MO, home go to auction Thursday. The highest bidder was her former attorney. (Source: KPLR/CNN)Sawyers watched her Florissant, MO, home go to auction Thursday. The highest bidder was her former attorney. (Source: KPLR/CNN)

Delta passenger fined $500 for apple

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:01 PM EDT2018-04-21 17:01:03 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:45 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:45:42 GMT
    adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

'Austin Powers' star Verne Troyer dies at age 49

Saturday, April 21 2018 4:51 PM EDT2018-04-21 20:51:28 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 2:33 AM EDT2018-04-22 06:33:39 GMT

Verne Troyer, an actor famous for his role as Mini-Me in the "Austin Powers" trilogy, has passed away.

Powered by Frankly