FIRST ALERT: 'Don' possible by the end of the week - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

FIRST ALERT: 'Don' possible by the end of the week

Forecast models Forecast models
Chance of development Chance of development

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A large cluster of thunderstorms in the central Atlantic Ocean continues to show signs of slowly getting better organized. 

The nearly stationary cluster of storms is roughly 2,000 miles from Myrtle Beach and the South Carolina Coast.

Development over the next 48 hours is unlikely with the National Hurricane Center indicating only a 30% chance. However, as the tropical wave moves to the west and northwest over the next few days, it will enter an area with better ingredients for tropical development and the Hurricane Center has upped the chance of development to 70% within the next 5 days. 

The storm has to overcome some dry air nearby before any further development can take place, but models right now indicate it could in fact continue to develop late this week. The next name on the list of named storms this year is "Don."

By the weekend and into next week, most forecast models show the system passing well north of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.  This path typically favors a storm that curves harmlessly out to sea, and that will most likely be the case with this system. 

The WMBF First Alert Weather Team will continue to keep an eye on this system. Also be sure to download the WMBF First Alert Weather App and use the Tropical Tracking feature to keep an eye on the tropics through the rest of hurricane season, which runs through November.  

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Conway residents rescued following rising flood water

    Conway residents rescued following rising flood water

    Sunday, September 23 2018 10:50 AM EDT2018-09-23 14:50:38 GMT
    Residents had to be taken our by military vehicles (Source: WMBF News)Residents had to be taken our by military vehicles (Source: WMBF News)
    Residents had to be taken our by military vehicles (Source: WMBF News)Residents had to be taken our by military vehicles (Source: WMBF News)

    HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – This weekend river levels throughout portions of Horry County have already risen nearly a foot, breaking records set by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Though its still uncertain how high the rivers will reach some residents are choosing to stay in their homes while others are forced out of their homes. “We are trusting the Lord hoping it won’t go inside the house,” said Kenneth Roensch. For more than years Kenneth Roensch has seen his f...

    More >>

    HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – This weekend river levels throughout portions of Horry County have already risen nearly a foot, breaking records set by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Though its still uncertain how high the rivers will reach some residents are choosing to stay in their homes while others are forced out of their homes. “We are trusting the Lord hoping it won’t go inside the house,” said Kenneth Roensch. For more than years Kenneth Roensch has seen his f...

    More >>
  • Lynches River flood waters closes nearby county park

    Lynches River flood waters closes nearby county park

    Sunday, September 23 2018 10:48 AM EDT2018-09-23 14:48:12 GMT

    FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - It’s been more than a week since Hurricane Florence made its slow trek through the Carolinas, but some parts of the state are not out of the water yet. The water levels of the Lynches River in Florence County continue to invade people’s yards and now the Lynches River County Park.

    More >>

    FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - It’s been more than a week since Hurricane Florence made its slow trek through the Carolinas, but some parts of the state are not out of the water yet. The water levels of the Lynches River in Florence County continue to invade people’s yards and now the Lynches River County Park.

    More >>
  • Myrtle Beach renourishment project continues following Florence

    Myrtle Beach renourishment project continues following Florence

    Sunday, September 23 2018 10:32 AM EDT2018-09-23 14:32:07 GMT
    Source: City of Myrtle Beach FBSource: City of Myrtle Beach FB

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) — Following a 10 day delay caused by Hurricane Florence and it's impact, city officials announce the continuation of the Myrtle Beach  Shore Protection Program. Project contractors have assessed any damage done by the storm and estimate the project picking up where it left off beginning this Sunday.  In a Facebook post issued Saturday, authorities say the first pipes will be laid near the Withers Swash area.  Myrtle Beach City Governmen...

    More >>

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) — Following a 10 day delay caused by Hurricane Florence and it's impact, city officials announce the continuation of the Myrtle Beach  Shore Protection Program. Project contractors have assessed any damage done by the storm and estimate the project picking up where it left off beginning this Sunday.  In a Facebook post issued Saturday, authorities say the first pipes will be laid near the Withers Swash area.  Myrtle Beach City Governmen...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly