Group turns out to toast Palace Theatre as demolition continues - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Group turns out to toast Palace Theatre as demolition continues

A group turned out to toast the Palace Theatre Monday as work continues to tear the building down. (Source: WMBF News) A group turned out to toast the Palace Theatre Monday as work continues to tear the building down. (Source: WMBF News)
Work started to demolish the Palace Theatre on April 27. (Source: WMBF News) Work started to demolish the Palace Theatre on April 27. (Source: WMBF News)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – A group turned out Monday to toast the Palace Theatre as the iconic Myrtle Beach landmark is slowly torn down after sustaining heavy damage from Hurricane Matthew.

It was a sad day for those who turned out in front of the half-demolished building, gathering to toast the venue where they’ve watched countless performances since the theatre first opened its doors in 1995.

Mike Mabrey, a former Palace Theatre employee, recalled being hired before the building was officially opened. He said he hired many of the initial ushers and parking attendants, and made a lot of good friends over the years.

“It’s been a sad week watching it come down, and we just wanted to get together one more time here and say our goodbyes,” Mabrey said.

Crews began tearing down the Palace Theatre last Thursday, April 27. Demolition is expected to be completed before the end of June.

The Palace Theatre was heavily damaged during Hurricane Matthew last October, which left a gaping hole in the theater's front facade.

Earlier this month, it came to light that the owner of the theater, The Chapin Company, opted to demolish the building instead of repairing it.

Related stories:

Copyright 2017 WMBF News. All rights reserved. 

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Woman reports she was victim of sex trafficking in Myrtle Beach

    Thursday, July 19 2018 2:29 PM EDT2018-07-19 18:29:11 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – According to a police report filed Tuesday with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, a 22-year-old woman claims she was a victim of sex trafficking. The woman told police that she was taken from Columbia through Charlotte to Myrtle Beach, where she says she was forced into prostitution. She says that a known suspect threatened to hurt her family if she didn’t comply with his demands. The woman was taken to a hospital. Stay with WMBF News a...

    More >>

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – According to a police report filed Tuesday with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, a 22-year-old woman claims she was a victim of sex trafficking. The woman told police that she was taken from Columbia through Charlotte to Myrtle Beach, where she says she was forced into prostitution. She says that a known suspect threatened to hurt her family if she didn’t comply with his demands. The woman was taken to a hospital. Stay with WMBF News a...

    More >>
  • Police looking for suspect who vandalized Florence church

    Police looking for suspect who vandalized Florence church

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:53 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:53:53 GMT
    The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect (Source: Florence police)The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect (Source: Florence police)
    The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect (Source: Florence police)The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect (Source: Florence police)

    The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect. Police say the suspect broke into the New Ebenezer Baptist Church on South Ravenel Street on June 29 at about 10:00 p.m.

    More >>

    The Florence Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vandalism suspect. Police say the suspect broke into the New Ebenezer Baptist Church on South Ravenel Street on June 29 at about 10:00 p.m.

    More >>
  • Former youth minister accused of sexually assaulting two girls

    Former youth minister accused of sexually assaulting two girls

    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:40 PM EDT2018-07-19 17:40:31 GMT
    Norman Clay Abernathy (Source: JRLDC)Norman Clay Abernathy (Source: JRLDC)

     A former Conway youth minister was arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting two girls.

    More >>

     A former Conway youth minister was arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting two girls.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly