CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - Southern Enchantment Carriage Rides will begin offering horse-drawn carriage rides in downtown Conway at the corner of Main Street and Third Avenue starting on April 6.
At a city council meeting, members discussed added signage and an alternative route for the horses to take in the event of a storm, parade, or other interference.
The goal is to increase tourism within the downtown area.
Adam Emrick, planning department director for the city of Conway, said tourists currently pass right through downtown Conway on the way to the beach, without stopping in the area first.
"We're very proud of our history and anything that kind of plays up on that is something we look to expand," Emrick said.
Angela Dutton is the owner of Southern Enchantment Carriage Rides and said they have been offering rides in Conway since June 2016. However, she's hoping to add more signage to the parking lot they currently pick riders up at.
Since the company does not have a storefront in downtown Conway, it wants to use a banner and some sandwich signs to bring attention to their service.
"We want to get that out to everybody that we're here and we're back this summer and we're going to be bigger and better than we were last year," Dutton said.
Last year's flooding also caused some issues for the carriages.
Some of the roads along the mapped-out route were flooded and made inaccessible. At the council meeting Monday night, an alternative route was set to be decided on in the event something like that happens again.
"They're asking for us to amend our franchise agreement with them to give them a little bit more flexibility in the routes that they could run," Emrick said.
The franchise agreement is signed for five years.