HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The Myrtle Beach man who was shot and paralyzed by police during the execution of a drug bust in April 2015 appeared in court Thursday on charges stemming from that encounter.
All gun charges against Julian Betton were dropped, and he pleaded guilty to selling $100 worth of marijuana one time, to a friend. Betton had been facing three charges of pointing and presenting a firearm and two charges of possession of drugs with intent to distribute, according to court records.
A judge ruled that the state would not benefit Betton's incarceration.
"Quite frankly I don't know what they would do with you," the judge said during Betton's plea hearing Thursday.
Julian Betton's attorney said he is a "changed man" who would never again sell marijuana.
On April 16, 2015, the 15th Circuit Drug Enforcement Unit stormed the apartment of Julian Betton while executing a narcotics warrant on Withers Swash Drive. Originally officers told the Solicitor Betton shot back, but the same report that cleared the officers from charges, also found that Betton hadn't fired any weapons.
Betton and his attorney have since filed a civil suit against the Horry County Solicitor and officers with the Drug Enforcement Unit, claiming they violated his Fourth Amendment rights when they stormed into his home while serving a narcotics warrant and shot him nine times, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.
WMBF News Reporter Sage Speaks was in the courtroom – tune in to WMBF News beginning at 4 p.m. for her full reports.