Gun charges dropped against man shot, paralyzed during drug raid - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Gun charges dropped against man shot, paralyzed during drug raid

Julian Betton appears in court for a plea hearing. (Source: Sage Speaks) Julian Betton appears in court for a plea hearing. (Source: Sage Speaks)
Betton displays his injuries after being shot 9 times by police. (Source: WMBF News) Betton displays his injuries after being shot 9 times by police. (Source: WMBF News)

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The Myrtle Beach man who was shot and paralyzed by police during the execution of a drug bust in April 2015 appeared in court Thursday on charges stemming from that encounter.

All gun charges against Julian Betton were dropped, and he pleaded guilty to selling $100 worth of marijuana one time, to a friend. Betton had been facing three charges of pointing and presenting a firearm and two charges of possession of drugs with intent to distribute, according to court records.

 A judge ruled that the state would not benefit Betton’s incarceration.

"Quite frankly I don't know what they would do with you,” the judge said during Betton’s plea hearing Thursday.

Julian Betton's attorney said he is a "changed man" who would never again sell marijuana.

On April 16, 2015, the 15th Circuit Drug Enforcement Unit stormed the apartment of Julian Betton while executing a narcotics warrant on Withers Swash Drive. Originally officers told the Solicitor Betton shot back, but the same report that cleared the officers from charges, also found that Betton hadn't fired any weapons.

Betton and his attorney have since filed a civil suit against the Horry County Solicitor and officers with the Drug Enforcement Unit, claiming they violated his Fourth Amendment rights when they stormed into his home while serving a narcotics warrant and shot him nine times, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.

WMBF News Reporter Sage Speaks was in the courtroom – tune in to WMBF News beginning at 4 p.m. for her full reports.

Related Stories:

Copyright 2017 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • HCSO vehicle involved in a high water rescue

    HCSO vehicle involved in a high water rescue

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 7:33 PM EDT2018-09-18 23:33:31 GMT

    MARION COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A Horry County Sheriff's Office vehicle is involved in a high water rescue at this time, according to the spokesperson for HCSO. WMBF News has a crew at the scene and will update this story when more information becomes known.  Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All right reserved.

    More >>

    MARION COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A Horry County Sheriff's Office vehicle is involved in a high water rescue at this time, according to the spokesperson for HCSO. WMBF News has a crew at the scene and will update this story when more information becomes known.  Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All right reserved.

    More >>
  • Federal program that provides an escape to flooded property owners

    Federal program that provides an escape to flooded property owners

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 7:31 PM EDT2018-09-18 23:31:10 GMT

    HORRY COUNTY (WMBF) – For homeowners’ experiencing repeated flooding after Hurricane Florence, one option may be to allow the local government to take over their property. This option is available to eligible properties through grant programs funded the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The agency’s Flooding Mitigation Program awards funds to cities and counties to acquire, demolish, relocate, and elevate businesses and homes. FEMA has approved the acqui...

    More >>

    HORRY COUNTY (WMBF) – For homeowners’ experiencing repeated flooding after Hurricane Florence, one option may be to allow the local government to take over their property. This option is available to eligible properties through grant programs funded the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The agency’s Flooding Mitigation Program awards funds to cities and counties to acquire, demolish, relocate, and elevate businesses and homes. FEMA has approved the acqui...

    More >>
  • Report: President Trump expected to visit SC on Wednesday

    Report: President Trump expected to visit SC on Wednesday

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 5:51 PM EDT2018-09-18 21:51:55 GMT

    President Donald Trump is expected to make his way to South Carolina Wednesday to tour damage caused by Hurricane Florence.

    More >>

    President Donald Trump is expected to make his way to South Carolina Wednesday to tour damage caused by Hurricane Florence.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly