MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – One person was taken to the hospital and firefighters responded to a hazardous materials call after urine and bleach were mixed while someone was doing laundry at the Humane Society.
At about 11:10 a.m. Monday, Myrtle Beach Fire Department responded to the Humane Society for a hazardous materials call, according to a news release from the department. MBFD initiated a HAZMAT response, which included multiple engines, the heavy rescue, and the HAZMAT truck, along with specially-trained personnel.
Crews took one person to a nearby hospital, who was in stable condition, the release states.
Crews were told that a mix of urine-based ammonia and bleach were mixed in a washing machine, and it "out-gassed," which affected the person doing the laundry. HAZMAT techs are working to mitigate the situation, but are not expecting any other hazards or injuries from the material.