FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The American Red Cross's disaster-trained volunteers are assisting a family whose home in Florence was damaged by fire Saturday morning. Three adults and three children will receive financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials.
According to a news release, the Florence Fire Department responded to the blaze on Oakland Drive.
The American Red Cross offers these tips to avoid the dangers of household fire hazards:
- Space heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that may burn and placed on a hard level nonflammable surface
- Make sure that power cords for space heaters are in good repair, are plugged directly into a wall outlet, and do not use an extension cord
- Have all wood and coal burning stoves, fireplaces and chimneys inspected annually by a professional
- Using a stove top or an oven is not an acceptable alternative heat source, it can easily turn tragic
- If you used wood, coal, or gas in your home a carbon monoxide alarm is a mandatory safety device