ROBESON COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – A 61-year-old man died in a fire at a mobile home in Robeson County Wednesday morning.
At about 5:35 a.m., multiple crews responded to a structure fire at an older-model single-wide mobile home on Meadow Road, according to news release from Stephanie Chavis, the director of Robeson County Emergency Management. Minutes later, firefighters found John Smith in his older single-wide mobile home.
According to family members and the findings of fire investigators, Smith warmed his home using small electric heaters and possible LP/kerosene heaters, the release states. It appears Smith had attempted to escape the home, but may have been overtaken with smoke and died as a result of smoke inhalation.
The mobile home was totally destroyed, Chavis said.
The Northwood Fire Department, the East Howesville Fire Department and the Saddletree Fire Department were dispatched to the scene, in addition to Robeson County Sheriff's Office officials, Robeson County Emergency Management, and the State Bureau of Investigations.