Myrtle Beach Airport installs new Uber lot - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Myrtle Beach Airport installs new Uber lot

Uber vehicles parked in airport lot. (Source: WMBF News) Uber vehicles parked in airport lot. (Source: WMBF News)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A new Uber parking lot at the airport could make catching a ride more convenient in Myrtle Beach.

The lot was opened on Thursday and will allow drivers to to take turns on a first-come-first-serve basis. The lot can hold up to 16 Uber drivers.

Drivers say it's already made the competition more friendly and fair.

"What most of the drivers have said is just give us a queue. Just give us a way so we're not fighting over each other on who's going to be the closest one to the passenger when they call," said Rich Kurtz, who visited the Uber lot for the first time on Sunday.

The new lot was installed after an agreement between Uber and the Myrtle Beach Regional Airport back in October.

"You'd get one driver who would park here and then another one would kind of squeeze in front of him, get out and walk towards the terminal, it was just kind of cut-throat. Here it's a little more civilized. Alright I'm number five? I'm number five," said Kurtz.

Drivers say the new lot will also help them financially.

"We were told to pay a $7 parking fee for each person we took out of the parking lot, that we picked up. So when we left the parking lot we would have to pay $7," said Tom Coffey, another Uber driver.

Those fees are now gone as well. The drivers say with the winter months offering less business, the lot will allow them to see how long the wait is, and if it's even worth their time.

"I did not know to be honest that I was competing against 12, 13, 14 Uber drivers when i was parking over there. Now they're here. Now if someone drove in right this moment, they'd be like ninth or tenth in line, which means they probably would be here the rest of the night and wouldn't get a call." said Coffey.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Breaking

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 2:26 PM EDT2017-08-22 18:26:55 GMT
    Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>
  • Breaking

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:58 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:58:05 GMT
    Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:38:37 GMT
    (Source: rice.house.gov)(Source: rice.house.gov)

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly