It's a chilly December morning and you're in the shower getting ready for work. When all of sudden the hot water stops. You grab a towel and go in search the problem. It doesn't take long find it. Your hot water heater is leaking and dumping water all over the floor.
Five thing you need to do right away:
1. Stop the water! Find the water supply line to your unit. Turn off the supply line by twisting the valve counterclockwise until it shuts off.
2. Shut off the power. The heating elements are designed to be underwater. Once the water drains out the heating element could be a fire hazard. Locate and flip the breaker for your hot water heater.
3. Clean up as soon as you can. This is not a job you can handle on your own. If the area is not dried completely, mold and bacteria will grow. Call a professional, like Vines right away.
4. Take photos. Document all of the damage. This will help with your homeowner's insurance.
5. Call your insurance agent. An adjuster will need to see the damage to determine whether the company will pay for the damage.