Organizers look at CCMF's future following announcement of Dariu - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Organizers look at CCMF's future following announcement of Darius Rucker as 2017 headliner

Darius Rucker was announced as the third headliner for the 2017 Carolina Country Music Festival. (Source: WMBF News) Darius Rucker was announced as the third headliner for the 2017 Carolina Country Music Festival. (Source: WMBF News)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Darius Rucker will headline the 2017 Carolina Country Music Fest, taking place in Myrtle Beach from June 9 to 11, 2017.

The music festival's official Twitter account announced Friday that Rucker will perform at the three-day festival. Rucker gained fame as the lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist of the Grammy-award-winning rock band Hootie and the Blowfish, and went on to top the country music charts.

Rucker was born in Charleston, and returns to Myrtle Beach to host the Monday After the Masters charity golf event each year. A recent music video for his song "Homegrown Honey" was shot at Coastal Carolina University.

Brad Dean, president and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, expressed his excitement Friday over Rucker's involvement with the 2017 edition of the CCMF.

"Not only will that help to attract a lot of fans, it'll also strike a chord with South Carolinians because he's a homegrown talent and reaching that level of talent to come to Myrtle Beach signifies that the Carolina Country Music Festival is a major event not only for the Myrtle Beach area, but for country music nationwide," Dean said.

Bob Durkin, CCMF organizer, said they have been trying to get Rucker in the past and that his schedule has finally worked out.

Dean added the festival has been a huge success in its first two years and that next year's event is putting organizers where they'd hoped to be in year five or six.

"When this idea was just an idea and presented to various officials and stakeholders locally, most people kind of rolled their eyes and thought, 'There's no way we can do this in Myrtle Beach. There's no way this can be that big,'" Dean said. "But it just goes to show you what can happen when the public sector and the private sector work closely together and effectively promote an event."

Despite attracting more than 20,000 fans to the old pavilion site in downtown Myrtle Beach for the previous two three-day events, Durkin said he thinks there is room for more. For 2017, organizers are planning more video screens and speakers throughout, he added.

"Every year we want to look to improve and enhance what's happening," Dean said. "There's already been talk about how to add additional entertainment alternatives, maybe to build other activities around there that are family friendly and might appeal to the people coming and maybe attract a few more. We can only grow to a certain level, but the hope is that we can provide a great alternative and build that weekend, which is not an especially busy weekend, to help fill our hotels, restaurants and hopefully gain a lot of publicity for the area."

Previously, Kenny Chesney was announced as the first headliner for the 2017 event in September, and Jason Aldean was announced last month. The music festival’s official Twitter and Facebook pages announced that Chesney, an eight-time Entertainer of the Year with 28 No. 1 singles, will be one of over 30 artists to perform at next year’s three-day event.

More artists will be announced in the coming weeks, according to a tweet from the event's Twitter account.

General admission tickets are currently priced at $159, VIP passes now run $329, and “Super VIP” passes are $999. The company announced that ticket prices will go up at midnight Friday.

The 2016 Carolina Country Music Fest took place at the former Pavilion site on Ocean Boulevard from June 9 to 12, and an estimated 25,000 people attended. Headliners for this summer's event included Keith Urban, Tim McGraw and Florida Georgia Line.

For more information and to purchase tickets to next year's now, head to: http://www.carolinacountrymusicfest.com/

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Breaking

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 2:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 18:38:59 GMT
    Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>
  • Breaking

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:58 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:58:05 GMT
    Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:38:37 GMT
    (Source: rice.house.gov)(Source: rice.house.gov)

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly