International Drive motions heard in federal court for first tim - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

International Drive motions heard in federal court for first time

Construction began late summer on International Drive (Source: WMBF News) Construction began late summer on International Drive (Source: WMBF News)

FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - International Drive had its first hearing in federal court on Friday.

“People want it. People need it,” said Johnny Vaught, Horry County Council member for District 8. “It’s a public safety issue. It’s a convenience issue. It’s a great thing for the whole county.”

After four hours of arguments on two different motions at the John J. McMillan Federal Building in Florence, the judge decided to take the matters under advisement.

He’s deciding on a motion for preliminary injunction and a motion for contempt.

The preliminary injunction would pause construction until a full trial is held.

“Our biggest concern is that with a property like Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve being right there by International Drive that we’re going to have damage occur on that property that can’t be undone, damage that may have not been necessary,” said Lisa Turansky, chief conservation officer for the Coastal Conservation League.

The CCL, represented by the South Carolina Environmental Law Project, is suing Horry County and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for what SCELP said is an improper permit.

SCELP argues the Army Corps of Engineers did not do a proper analysis by doing an environmental assessment instead of a more rigorous environmental impact study of the full effects the road will have on the wetlands and surrounding area to issue the permit.

The lawyer for the Corps told the judge Friday the organization did go through all of the proper steps to look at environmental effects and came to the decision to issue the permit.

A temporary restraining order was already agreed upon by both sides and applied to certain aspects of construction of International Drive. Those restrictions are in place until the judge makes a decision about the preliminary injunction.

However, the CCL said Horry County did not follow it.

Turansky said people told them construction was still going on, so CCL flew a photographer over the construction site and viewed construction activities that go against what CCL’s understanding was of what had been decided in the temporary restraining order.

That’s why the CCL motioned for contempt.

“We don’t know exactly what’s been done,” Turansky said. “And we don’t know what is included in that agreement moving forward for that temporary restraining order.”

SCELP’s Amy Armstrong said even though some of the wetlands started to be filled before the temporary restraining order was put in place, those wetlands shouldn’t continue to be filled under the order.

However, Horry County’s attorney, Stan Barnett, said the county’s understanding of the order is the wetlands that had started being filled prior to the order could continue to be worked on.

“We continue to fill where we had already started to fill,” Vaught said. “We just didn’t do anything new, which was what we agreed to.”

Armstrong will go out to the construction site for a tour to see what has been done.

The lawyers are supposed to try to reach a temporary agreement on the restraining order. Additionally, the judge asked if they’re interested in mediation before this trial at all, even though he knows it’s been contentious and both sides say they are.

Armstrong said coming to an agreement has been the preference all along. Barnett added he’s not sure if he’s optimistic about the possibility of mediation.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Police: Woman shot at, punched ex-boyfriend in Walmart parking lot

    Police: Woman shot at, punched ex-boyfriend in Walmart parking lot

    Sunday, July 15 2018 2:04 PM EDT2018-07-15 18:04:53 GMT
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay
    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Warrants could be issued as early as Sunday after a Myrtle Beach woman allegedly shot at her ex-boyfriend  and his new girlfriend in the parking lot of Walmart on Highway 17. North Myrtle Beach spokesman Pat Dowling says the incident happened in the parking lot around 1:20 a.m.. According to authorities the female suspect followed her ex-boyfriend to the Walmart before confronting him and punching him several times in the face. Dowling ...More >>
    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Warrants could be issued as early as Sunday after a Myrtle Beach woman allegedly shot at her ex-boyfriend  and his new girlfriend in the parking lot of Walmart on Highway 17. North Myrtle Beach spokesman Pat Dowling says the incident happened in the parking lot around 1:20 a.m.. According to authorities the female suspect followed her ex-boyfriend to the Walmart before confronting him and punching him several times in the face. Dowling ...More >>
  • One killed, one hurt after dumpster falls on workers at Campbell's factory in Maxton

    One killed, one hurt after dumpster falls on workers at Campbell's factory in Maxton

    Sunday, July 15 2018 1:39 PM EDT2018-07-15 17:39:28 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    ROBESON COUNTY, NC (WMBF) - One man is dead and another seriously injured after an incident at the Campbell's Soup factory in Maxton Sunday morning. According to Sheriff Kenneth Sealey deputies responded to a 911 call around 11 a.m. Authorities believe the workers were attempting to move a dumpster using a forklift when it shifted, falling on two people.  The status of the seriously injured man is unknown at this time.  Sealey says the incident is still under investi...More >>
    ROBESON COUNTY, NC (WMBF) - One man is dead and another seriously injured after an incident at the Campbell's Soup factory in Maxton Sunday morning. According to Sheriff Kenneth Sealey deputies responded to a 911 call around 11 a.m. Authorities believe the workers were attempting to move a dumpster using a forklift when it shifted, falling on two people.  The status of the seriously injured man is unknown at this time.  Sealey says the incident is still under investi...More >>
  • North Myrtle Beach Police searching for alleged shoplifter

    North Myrtle Beach Police searching for alleged shoplifter

    Sunday, July 15 2018 11:51 AM EDT2018-07-15 15:51:22 GMT
    Source: North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety FB pageSource: North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety FB page

    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Police need your help searching for a woman accused of shoplifting in North Myrtle Beach on Friday. Authorities believe the suspect is driving a newer model, 4-door sedan. Details are limited at this time however police have provided photographs of the woman and her vehicle. If you have any information about the suspect or her whereabouts you are asked to contact North Myrtle Beach Police at 843-280-5549. Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All rig...

    More >>

    NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Police need your help searching for a woman accused of shoplifting in North Myrtle Beach on Friday. Authorities believe the suspect is driving a newer model, 4-door sedan. Details are limited at this time however police have provided photographs of the woman and her vehicle. If you have any information about the suspect or her whereabouts you are asked to contact North Myrtle Beach Police at 843-280-5549. Copyright 2018 WMBF News. All rig...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly