Inspectors find tricks and treats on this week’s Restaurant Scor - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Inspectors find tricks and treats on this week’s Restaurant Scorecard

On one restaurant got a perfect score in this week's Restaurant Scorecard. (Source: WMBF News) On one restaurant got a perfect score in this week's Restaurant Scorecard. (Source: WMBF News)

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control makes unannounced stops at restaurants every day to make sure businesses are following the rules and guidelines to ensure food safety.

This week only one eatery earned a perfect score. 

Regulars at 707 Social Club in Socastee said they continue to come back for the atmosphere, the people, and drinks and food. Bill Bogs, a regular at the bar and grill, said he wasn't surprised to hear that his favorite spot earned a perfect score of 100 when a DHEC inspector made a pop-up visit this week. 

"It's not your typical bar food here," Bogs said. "It's got actually a healthy menu and the food is homemade." 

Carol Janet Murphy, owner of the 707 Social Club, took over earlier this year. She said she prides herself on make sure everything is clean and presentable when customers walk in. 

My priority is cleanliness. I'm a retired cop and a retired Navy cop, so discipline and cleanliness and making sure everything is in order has been instilled in me since I was 18 years old," Murphy said. 

At the Applebee's on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach, health inspectors found something different.

In the report, the inspector noted the presence of roaches inside the establishment. According to the DHEC report, the routine inspection was generated after a complainant stated there was mold in the ceiling coming from the ceiling tiles. 

The health inspector found nothing to support the complaint during the time of the inspection. Overall, the score was a 96. 

Jimmyz Hibachi House on U.S. 17 South in Surfside Beach earned a 93 score overall. Points were deducted after the inspector observed raw chicken thawing in the three-compartment sink. The chicken was not submerged or under running water. 

The report also said tuna was improperly thawing and not removed from the reducing oxygen package, which says the fish should be removed from the package before thawing. 

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly