HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Horry County offers preparedness tips in the event of a hurricane.
Preparedness tips and actions include:
- Review insurance policies
- Take pictures or videotape the inside and outside of the home to include personal belongings
- Put copies of important documents in a safe place, preferably a waterproof container
- Fill prescriptions that might be needed and stock up on any necessary medical supplies
- Listen to the radio or television for hurricane updates and public safety information
- Keep the fuel tank as full as possible
- Have enough cash for a few days because ATM’s may not work during power outages and stores might not be able to take debit and credit cards
- Protect doors and windows
- Secure roof shingles
- Seal openings, cracks and holes
- Strengthen soffits
- Test your generator proper operation
- Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting in anticipation of losing power - open only when necessary.
For more information about annual preparedness activities, actions during the threat of a hurricane, and mitigation tips for the home, and pets click here.