MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is now urging customers to turn off their Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones after dozens of users reported the device caught fire while charging.
Tim Brady at Stay Mobile in Surfside Beach repairs phones and electronic devices for a living. He said while he has come across exploding phones before, he's never seen anything with this large a scale.
"We keep up with the forums pretty readily," Brady said. "So we started hearing issues a couple of weeks after it was released, that it was exploding and that the battery life wasn't as it should have been."
Brady said multiple customers have brought in Samsung Note 7s since its release back in August, although none of them caught fire.
However, after Samsung issued its Sept. 2 recall, he said they could no longer accept customers with those phones.
"We don't want to work on it because of issues like that. So we refer them directly to Samsung to get that taken care of," Brady said.
Wesley Hartzog is a local EMT who said he left his Note 7 on the charger before leaving his home. When he returned, his garage was on fire.
That happened earlier this month, just two days after Samsung issued a recall of the phone. Back then, there were only 35 reported instances; now, there are 92.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is urging customers to immediately stop using the device and power down.
"Because this product causes such a serious fire hazard, I am urging all consumers - all consumers - to take advantage of this recall right away." said Elliot Kaye with CPSC.
Investigators were at Hartzog's home on Friday to try and determine if the phone was actually to blame. Brady said with the iPhone 7 also being released on Friday, if Apple is smart, they will take advantage.
"I think it definitely affects Apple," he said. "Their conversion rate on users is definitely going to go up. People are returning the Notes and they may just want to switch to Apple because there aren't as many problems as Samsung right now."
According to CNN, Samsung has lost more than $25 billion in market value since the recall back on Sept. 2, leaving investors wondering how long the fallout will last.