Myrtle Beach suspends agreement with a lifeguard service - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Myrtle Beach suspends agreement with a lifeguard service

File photo of a lifeguard station. (Source: WMBF News) File photo of a lifeguard station. (Source: WMBF News)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The City of Myrtle Beach has suspended its Water Safety Franchise agreement with Myrtle Beach Lifeguards, effective Wednesday, pending a review of the lifeguards’ certifications.

WMBF investigators went to the address listed on the company's website to get a comment from the owner, but no one was there. However, the name on the sign did match the signature on the agreement: H. Eugene Hudson. In the window were two business licenses, one for a law practice and the other for Myrtle Beach Lifeguards Inc.

Myrtle Beach Lifeguards covers the beach from 67th Avenue North to 77th Avenue North, zones 75 through 83, according to a news release from the city.

One couple on the beach near 73rd Avenue North said they were told by lifeguards that they would be receiving refunds for the rentals.

"Midday, the lifeguard did come up and say there was going to be a change in services tomorrow, and they were going to go ahead and refund the money up until where we had paid for it," they said.

Among other requirements, the franchise agreement require that all lifeguards have a valid lifeguard card, the release stated. The suspension is in effect pending a review of the certification of some of the franchisee’s lifeguards.

During the suspension, other franchises have agreed to provide certified lifeguards to cover these zones for the public’s safety, according to city spokesman Mark Kruea.

"We want the public to know that there will be certified lifeguards on the beach. That's certainly the main concern with the water safety franchises is to make sure that we do have that service up and down the beach and we want the public to be assured that these ten blocks will be covered during this interim period while the suspension is in place." said Kruea.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Breaking

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 2:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 18:38:59 GMT
    Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>
  • Breaking

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:58 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:58:05 GMT
    Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:38:37 GMT
    (Source: rice.house.gov)(Source: rice.house.gov)

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly