Mustang Week organizers look to relocate next year's rally - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Mustang Week organizers look to relocate next year's rally

Spectators and owners admire Ford Mustangs as the cars lined up side by side. Source: Ruby Durham Spectators and owners admire Ford Mustangs as the cars lined up side by side. Source: Ruby Durham

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - There's no way you could miss them as they rev their engines up and down the beach. It's the 15th Annual Mustang Week here in the Grand Strand.

Organizers said it’s getting so big, this year alone, 500 cars sold out in 13 hours, which is why they want to move the car competition to a bigger location.

Staff members are looking to relocate where the old Myrtle Square Mall used to be, off North Kings Highway.

Organizers said they tried to make a move this year, but Myrtle Beach City Council said it wasn't a good time. When they made the request, a lot of places were already booked up; they would have needed more time to add emergency responders.

"Were going to start looking for somewhere. And if it so happens that the mall is available, and that's the best option, to go back to the Myrtle Beach Mall, we'll work with those guys as close as we can. And that is what we may have to do as well," said Mustang Week Staff Member Brad Worley.

Organizers said if they get the bigger location, they can add at least 100 more cars to the competition.

Also this year, staff members encouraged everyone to expect to see extra officers patrolling the roads to make sure everyone stays safe.

Again this year, staff members say law enforcement officials know the schedule and will be out in full force to make sure drivers don't get out of hand.

Organizers said they do not tolerate or condone reckless driving, but just in case it happens, they've brought in extra police to be ready to respond.

"There's off duty officers riding around to try to curb some of the few bad seeds that like to cause issues. But we curbed that last year in front of the mall almost to none, and that was by spending out of the mustang week budget,” Worley said.

Organizers said they want people who live in Myrtle Beach and those who come to visit to feel comfortable with this crowd coming in with their cars, so people can enjoy it and not feel like it's a burden on the streets.

The Cruise-In will start at 10 a.m. and run to 6 p.m. at the Myrtle Beach Mall.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • FIRST ALERT: Local rivers rising rapidly, flooding worsens through the weekend

    FIRST ALERT: Local rivers rising rapidly, flooding worsens through the weekend

    Friday, September 21 2018 11:19 PM EDT2018-09-22 03:19:01 GMT
    Waccamaw River floodingWaccamaw River flooding

    Water levels will continue to rise to historic levels on area rivers and the Intracoastal Waterway.

    More >>

    Water levels will continue to rise to historic levels on area rivers and the Intracoastal Waterway.

    More >>
  • Florence County imposes mandatory evacuation orders for zones 1 and 2

    Florence County imposes mandatory evacuation orders for zones 1 and 2

    Friday, September 21 2018 10:16 PM EDT2018-09-22 02:16:11 GMT
    Rising water levels cover someone's yard on Starburst Road in Florence County. (Source: WMBF News)Rising water levels cover someone's yard on Starburst Road in Florence County. (Source: WMBF News)
    Rising water levels cover someone's yard on Starburst Road in Florence County. (Source: WMBF News)Rising water levels cover someone's yard on Starburst Road in Florence County. (Source: WMBF News)

    FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Florence County Emergency Management officials ordered a mandatory evacuation for 1,400 homes along the Lynches River Friday. Zone One (860 homes, 3,010 residents) from the Highway 301 bridge to the Highway 52 bridge was issued a mandatory evacuation Friday morning. Zone Two (540 homes, 1,890 residents) from the Highway 52 bridge to the Highway 378 was issued that afternoon.

    More >>

    FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Florence County Emergency Management officials ordered a mandatory evacuation for 1,400 homes along the Lynches River Friday. Zone One (860 homes, 3,010 residents) from the Highway 301 bridge to the Highway 52 bridge was issued a mandatory evacuation Friday morning. Zone Two (540 homes, 1,890 residents) from the Highway 52 bridge to the Highway 378 was issued that afternoon.

    More >>
  • 'This is the worst I've ever seen here,' parts of Brunswick Plantation under water

    'This is the worst I've ever seen here,' parts of Brunswick Plantation under water

    Friday, September 21 2018 10:13 PM EDT2018-09-22 02:13:40 GMT
    Brunswick Plantation resdents use canoes to check on flooded homes. (Source: Audrey Biesk)Brunswick Plantation resdents use canoes to check on flooded homes. (Source: Audrey Biesk)

    Flooding across the area is causing people to leave their homes behind, wondering when then they can return. People who live in the Brunswick Plantation said during previous storms water never came up to their driveways, but are experiencing a much different story here as more than 3 feet of water is over taking their homes.

    More >>

    Flooding across the area is causing people to leave their homes behind, wondering when then they can return. People who live in the Brunswick Plantation said during previous storms water never came up to their driveways, but are experiencing a much different story here as more than 3 feet of water is over taking their homes.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly