Bennettsville firefighters battle blaze at propane company -, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Bennettsville firefighters battle blaze at propane company

(Source: Raycom Media) (Source: Raycom Media)

BENNETTSVILLE, SC (WMBF) – No one was injured in a Thursday afternoon fire that started in a 1,000-gallon tank at a local propane company, according to Bennettsville Fire Chief Dixon Odom.

Firefighters were dispatched to Suburban Propane on Parsonage Street around 3 p.m. Odom said pressure inside the tank cause the line to come off, which rubbed against the pavement and caused a spark.

The tank was located in the rear of the propane company. The flames were blown into a neighboring business, which suffered damage, according to Odom.

“It was a tremendous fireball,” he said. “It was as tall and big around as the back end of a semi tractor-trailer.”

Odom added that within 10 minutes after firefighters arrived, all the gas had been burnt out of the tank and the fire ended.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly