Two Horry airports to receive upgrades - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Two Horry Airports to Receive Upgrades

Two Horry airports to receive upgrades

Aerial view of the Loris Airport. (Source: Kirk Lovell) Aerial view of the Loris Airport. (Source: Kirk Lovell)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Two Horry County Airports will soon receive upgrades. 

Horry County Department of Airports says it is placing 3,700 feet of fence around the airfield at the Loris airport and will replace airfield lighting at the Conway airport.

Kirk Lovell with Horry County Department of Airports says the new eight foot fence for the Loris Airport will help keep wildlife from roaming on to the runway.

The new fence will cost about $201,111 but FAA will pay 90 percent of that budget according to Lovell, Horry County Department of Airports will pay for the remaining 10 percent.

At the Conway Airport the current airfield lighting is more than 30 years old.

Lovell says this upgrade to the lighting system at a budget of $1,000,000 will be more energy efficient, but at this point any projected savings will not be known until lighting designs are planned with a contractor.

As with the new fence at the Loris airport, FAA is expected pay 90 percent of the budget for the new lighting at the Conway airport and Horry County Department of Airports will pay 10 percent.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • UPDATE: Victim identified after vehicle struck guardrail, flipped on U.S. 17

    UPDATE: Victim identified after vehicle struck guardrail, flipped on U.S. 17

    Saturday, August 19 2017 4:27 PM EDT2017-08-19 20:27:55 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    One person has died after an accident on U.S. 17 South early Saturday morning. According to Jed Jones with South Carolina Highway Patrol, a pick-up truck was traveling on U.S. 17, when it ran off the roadway, struck a guardrail and overturned around 1:55 Saturday morning. The driver, the only occupant of the vehicle, was ejected from the car and was pronounced dead at the scene. 

    More >>

    One person has died after an accident on U.S. 17 South early Saturday morning. According to Jed Jones with South Carolina Highway Patrol, a pick-up truck was traveling on U.S. 17, when it ran off the roadway, struck a guardrail and overturned around 1:55 Saturday morning. The driver, the only occupant of the vehicle, was ejected from the car and was pronounced dead at the scene. 

    More >>
  • Pawleys Island house fire closes Myrtle Avenue

    Pawleys Island house fire closes Myrtle Avenue

    Saturday, August 19 2017 1:46 PM EDT2017-08-19 17:46:21 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

     A house fire has temporarily shut down Myrtle Avenue in Pawley’s Island. Pawley’s Island Police confirm a house fire at 350 Myrtle Avenue, and say the road will be closed for a while. There is a house fire at 350 Myrtle Ave. Street will be closed for a while between the causeways. 

    More >>

     A house fire has temporarily shut down Myrtle Avenue in Pawley’s Island. Pawley’s Island Police confirm a house fire at 350 Myrtle Avenue, and say the road will be closed for a while. There is a house fire at 350 Myrtle Ave. Street will be closed for a while between the causeways. 

    More >>
  • Conway Pastor issues statement after Thursday's arrest by TSA

    Conway Pastor issues statement after Thursday's arrest by TSA

    Saturday, August 19 2017 1:37 PM EDT2017-08-19 17:37:41 GMT
    Philip Houston Miles (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)Philip Houston Miles (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

    Conway Pastor Phillip Miles was arrested Thursday by TSA for carrying an unloaded pistol into Myrtle Beach International Airport. According to J. Reuben Long Detention Center’s website, Miles was charged with carrying weapons into restricted places and was released on $500.00 bond. 

    More >>

    Conway Pastor Phillip Miles was arrested Thursday by TSA for carrying an unloaded pistol into Myrtle Beach International Airport. According to J. Reuben Long Detention Center’s website, Miles was charged with carrying weapons into restricted places and was released on $500.00 bond. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly