Two Latta firefighters recovering from fire injuries - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Two Latta firefighters recovering from fire injuries

(Source: Facebook) (Source: Facebook)

LATTA, SC (WMBF)- Two local firefighters are recovering from injuries following an explosion that sent them flying through the air.
 
“When I came from church it was engulfed in fire,” James Brown, who lives across from the home that caught on fire said. According to a Latta Police report, fire crews were called to a mobile home on Calm Street on Saturday.
 
The report said crews found a small fire that started because of a clutter of electrical cords. But that incident has not been tied to the fire that injured Latta’s Fire Chief and another firefighter the following day.
 
Flames engulfed the home on Sunday, and the two suited up and went inside. One was Latta Fire Chief Bobby Jones and the other was crew member BJ Sturgeon.
 
Shortly after they entered the burning structure an explosion sent the two flying through the air.
 
The blast knocked off Sturgeon’s mask, Chief Jones was able to recover and drag him out of the building.
 
“When I saw them they were pulling him out of the fire. I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know if it was somebody who got burned inside….later I learned it was a firefighter,” Brown said.
 
Chief Jones suffered smoke inhalation and a few burns, but Sturgeon’s burns are serious and he still at the Augusta Burn Center.
 
Brown said he knew his neighbors whose home went up in flames, he said that family is ok.
 
On Monday night Chief Jones showed up to a prayer revival the town had for him and Sturgeon.
 
“I’m sore. I’m going to be out of work for a week, but I want to thank everybody for their prayers and concerns,” Jones said.

A gofundme account has been set up for the victims.

Copyright 2016 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly