CONWAY, SC (WMBF) – The Horry County Emergency Management Department (EMD) is asking residents to prepare themselves and their homes for the threat of winter weather conditions.
The National Weather Service has issued a freezing rain advisory for the following counties effective midnight tonight until 11:00 a.m. tomorrow.
- Horry County (Inland)
- Pender (Inland)
Horry County EMD is encouraging citizens to use the following precautions while driving in rainy conditions.
- First and foremost: slow down!
- Stay toward the middle lanes - water tends to pool in the outside lanes.
- Maintain proper following distance (3 Second Rule). This needs to be increased in wet weather.
- Do not follow large trucks or busses too closely. The spray created by their large tires reduces your vision. Take care when passing them as well. If you must pass, do so quickly and safely.
- Be more alert when driving in wet or slippery conditions. Watch out for brake lights in front of you.
Citizens are also urged to continue the following proper precautions for cold weather.
- Remember the usual emergency supplies: a flashlight and batteries, a battery-powered radio, extra non-perishable food and water, extra medicines and baby items, and first-aid supplies.
- Freezing temperatures can burst water pipes in homes that lack heat or proper insulation. Wrap exposed pipes or take other measures to insulate them from the cold.
- Prepare a place indoors for pets. Move farm animals to shelters and have extra feed and water available.
- Residents are encouraged to check on elderly and at-risk neighbors and relatives due to the increased potential for power outages and cold temperatures.
- Use caution when traveling on roads.
- Use caution when walking in parking lots and on sidewalks.
- Check with airlines as flights may be delayed or canceled.
For more information on winter weather safety tips visit www.horrycounty.org.