NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – North Myrtle Beach (NMB) Fire Rescue says smoke alarms are a vital part of a home fire escape plan. During a fire smoke can spread very fast. Working smoke detectors can help you get outside to safety quickly. Below is important information on smoke detectors from NMB Fire Rescue that will help keep you and your family safe.
- Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area.
- Install alarms on every level of the home.
- Install alarms in the basement if your home has one.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they reach the 10 year mark.
The NMB Fire Rescue Fire Prevention Division has smoke detectors available for city residents in need.
Call the Fire Prevention Division at (843) 280-5615 to request a smoke detector and have it installed in your home free of charge or if you have your own smoke detector, but need assistance installing or changing the batteries.