MARION COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - The Marion County Sheriff's Office is offering crime prevention tips for the holiday season. It is important to follow these tips when shopping or celebrating this holiday season.
Holiday safety tips provided by Major Brian Wallace are listed below:
- When parking your vehicle to go shopping, Always park in a well lit and well traveled area. Do not park in a remote dark area.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Be ready to unlock your vehicle doors when you approach the vehicle so you will not be fumbling and looking for your keys.
- When storing items the best place is in a locked trunk.
- Do not leave your valuables in plain view in your vehicle.
- Don't resist if someone tries to take any of your belongings. Don't chase someone who robs you, they may have a weapon. Call 911 immediately.
- If you go to an automatic teller machine for cash, check for people around and make sure it is well lit and in a safe location.
- Carry only the credit cards you need and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Beware of scams during the Holiday Season. If a deal sounds too good to be true it’s probably a scam. Things are not always what they appear to be.
- If you are purchasing toys for small children, be sure that they are safe. You will be surprised what a small child can swallow or what can injure them.
- Traffic is heavier during the holidays. Drive defensively and also watch out for the other driver.
- Please keep your vehicle locked at all times.
- Please remember DON’T Text and Drive.
- If you ‘See Something Say Something” Under Reaction to suspicious activity is a far bigger problem than over reaction. Please do not hesitate to call if you see something suspicious.