Conway Dog Park closes after dog dies from eating poison - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Conway Dog Park closes after dog dies from eating poison

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) – Sarah Cummings says she fought to open the Conway Dog Park because she wanted a place to take her four dogs, but that she never imagined that would be the place that she would lose one.

Sarah says her dog Ginger started convulsing and went into a seizure as they were returning home from the park.

She was taken to emergency care and after six hours, had to be euthanized.

According to Veterinarian documents, Ginger had symptoms that suggested she had eaten poison.

“She had no liver damage, no kidney damage or anything. She ingested a toxin an hour before she started seizing.” said Sarah.

In a statement, Foster Hughes, the Director of Conway Parks and Recreation, said that insecticide had been sprayed on ant hills in the park that weekend.

Sarah collected samples from the anthills and is convinced the poison wasn’t used properly.

“It was not used properly. We know it was not intentional, but it never should have happened.”

Sarah says nothing will replace the loss of her dog, but she just wants others to be careful in the future so it doesn’t happen again.

“If you do take them to a dog park, call whoever manages it. Ask them what they are using. Make sure your dogs are safe.”

Hughes says he is working with Sarah to help take care of her dogs medical expenses. He also said the park should be reopening on Friday.  

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly