Bond revoked for Malinowski murder suspect after Conway drive-th - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Breaking

Bond revoked for Malinowski murder suspect after Conway drive-thru shooting

Christopher Brown. Source: HCPD Christopher Brown. Source: HCPD

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) – Bond was denied Wednesday for the 21-year-old man arrested on December 3 in connection with a shooting at a drive-thru in Conway in November, according to officials. A previously-granted bond was also revoked in another case the man is a suspect in: the kidnapping and murder of Zachary Malinowski. 

Christopher Anthony Brown, of Conway, was arrested on December 3 by Horry County detectives and charged with attempted murder, possession of a weapon by a person convicted of a violent felony, and possession with intent to distribute marijuana. Brown is in custody at the Horry County Detention Center.

Brown was previously charged with the murder of Zachary Malinowski, an Aynor teenager who was originally reported missing in August 2013. Brown and another suspect, Javon Gibbs, were granted bond in May of 2015. On Wednesday, a judge also revoked the previously-granted bond for Brown in the Malinowski case, which is expected to go to trial in March. If the trial doesn’t happen, the motion for bond can be refiled.

Malinowski's mother made a desperate plea to the judge that Brown must remain incarcerated because he is a danger to the public and he needs to stay off the streets.

"Anybody that is accused and indicted by the grand jury for kidnapping and murder should be kept in jail to keep our community safe," Melissa Jordan said. "I think it's time we step up as a community, and we say, 'why are these people getting out of jail?'"

Solicitor Jimmy Richardson says the decision is tough and judges do the best they can. He says they have to look at a suspect's flight risk and danger to the community. In this case, Circuit Court judge Ben Culbertson chose to grant bond to Brown and Gibbs.

“You’re balancing a situation where a person is innocent until proven guilty, and if you really believe in that you have to set a bond accordingly," Richardson said when asked about a judge's original decision to grant bond.

Horry County Police Officers responded to Kin Lane in the Conway area of Horry County on the night of Friday, November 6 around 8 p.m. in response to a shooting after an argument.

According to Lt. Denis, the 25-year-old male said that an argument happened in the drive-thru of Burger King in Conway. After the argument the victim followed the suspect's vehicle to the area of Rose Moss Road and D Street; as he passed the other vehicle, he was shot once through the door and struck in the leg.

The victim positively identified Brown as the suspect, according to arrest warrants.

The victim was treated at a local hospital and is expected to recover from the wound.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.  

Powered by Frankly