Security changes come to Conway council chambers following incid - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Security changes come to Conway council chambers following incident

Conway, SC -

Officers were stationed at each entrance to city council chambers scanning people for weapons. That was the scene at Monday night's city council meeting in Conway.
Those are just the most recent upgrades to security after an incident left some council members feeling concerned for their safety and yours.   
"There's no question we live in an age where distraught people come in and take violent action without any warning," Council member Barbara Jo Blain-Bellamy said.
 Conway city council members are taking extra precautions by upgrading their security from just an officer in the crowd to officers with metal detectors.
And this change in security has some council members already feeling safer as they take on citizen concerns.
"They come to city council sometimes disgruntled so it makes perfect sense to me for us to take some very fundamental steps to make sure that everyone present is safe," Blain-Bellamy said.
Security within council chambers has been a concern for some members for a while now. The building is older, and officers still use a skeleton-style key to lock the doors.
However, the change in security comes after an incident last month.
Meeting minutes describe a man who council members say "sharply criticized" the council and, in particular, the mayor over the city's response to major flooding. But these aren't the only kinds of issues that can bring heated debate.
 "Perhaps the greatest thing we touch on is restriction on the use of one's property, but as a reasonable person, I just cannot fathom that that would turn into a violent act, but we know it sometimes does," Blain-Bellamy said.
We have reached out to Conway city police for more details on how they are upgrading security within council chambers but have not heard back at this time.
Copyright 2015 WMBF. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • One killed in Lake City motorcycle accident Saturday night; victim identified

    One killed in Lake City motorcycle accident Saturday night; victim identified

    Sunday, August 20 2017 1:13 PM EDT2017-08-20 17:13:38 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

     One person was killed in a motorcycle accident in Lake City Saturday night, according to Coroner Keith von Lutcken. The accident happened around 7:40 pm on South Morris Street and Dogwood Lane. The victim, identified as Victor McKenzie of Lake City, was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The South Carolina Highway Patrol and the Florence County Coroner’s Office is still investigating this incident.  

    More >>

     One person was killed in a motorcycle accident in Lake City Saturday night, according to Coroner Keith von Lutcken. The accident happened around 7:40 pm on South Morris Street and Dogwood Lane. The victim, identified as Victor McKenzie of Lake City, was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The South Carolina Highway Patrol and the Florence County Coroner’s Office is still investigating this incident.  

    More >>
  • Female hit by car on Highway 544 Saturday night

    Female hit by car on Highway 544 Saturday night

    Sunday, August 20 2017 1:09 PM EDT2017-08-20 17:09:06 GMT
    Source: Raycom MediaSource: Raycom Media

     A female was hit by a car on Highway 544 Saturday night, according to Lt. Selena Small with the Conway Police Department. Small said the female was hit around 10:45 pm near the 700 block of Highway 544. The victim was taken to the hospital and was admitted for her injuries. The accident is still under investigation, check back with WMBF News for more information. 

    More >>

     A female was hit by a car on Highway 544 Saturday night, according to Lt. Selena Small with the Conway Police Department. Small said the female was hit around 10:45 pm near the 700 block of Highway 544. The victim was taken to the hospital and was admitted for her injuries. The accident is still under investigation, check back with WMBF News for more information. 

    More >>
  • Conway man arrested for attempted murder

    Conway man arrested for attempted murder

    Sunday, August 20 2017 10:43 AM EDT2017-08-20 14:43:11 GMT
    Michael Douglas Faulk (Source: HCPD Facebook)Michael Douglas Faulk (Source: HCPD Facebook)

    Horry County Police announced Sunday that Michael Douglas Faulk, who was wanted for attempted murder and assault and battery has been caught. Horry County Police Department HCPD last posted about Faulk on July 28 as part of their “Horry County Crook” campaign.  

    More >>

    Horry County Police announced Sunday that Michael Douglas Faulk, who was wanted for attempted murder and assault and battery has been caught. Horry County Police Department HCPD last posted about Faulk on July 28 as part of their “Horry County Crook” campaign.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly