22-year-old man sentenced to life in prison for 2012 Georgetown - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather


22-year-old man sentenced to life in prison for 2012 Georgetown murder

Left: Anthony Fraser/Right: Damonte Rivera (Source: WCSC) Left: Anthony Fraser/Right: Damonte Rivera (Source: WCSC)

GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Damonte Rivera, a 22-year-old Georgetown man, was sentenced to life in prison plus a consecutive 30 years in prison on Friday for his role in a 2012 home invasion and murder in Georgetown.

“I hope the victims in this case can find peace now that justice has been served,” Deputy Solicitor Alicia Richardson said. Deputy Solicitor Richardson, who tried the case, also stated “Our community just became safer with Rivera behind bars. This trial was a lengthy and momentous joint effort of our office and the Georgetown City Police Department.”

The home invasion occurred in the early morning on August 30, 2012 when Rivera, Anthony Fraser, Alfonza Thomas and two other men kicked in the door of a residence and demanded money and drugs from the victims, according to a news release from Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson.

The defendants pointed a gun at a 10-year-old girl and a toddler during the home invasion; Rivera and Frasier also shot Thomas to death from behind while on the “path” near the Beck Recreation Center in Georgetown.

Judge Knox McMahon, of Lexington, sentenced Rivera to 30 years on first degree burglary, 30 years on armed robbery and 30 years on kidnapping stemming from the home invasion. Judge McMahon ordered each of the 30-year sentences to run concurrently to each other. For the murder of Thomas, Rivera was sentenced to life in prison and the judge ordered the sentence to run consecutive to the 30- year sentences imposed on the home invasion.

The lead investigator of the case was Captain Keith Smalls of the GPD and their investigation spanned from Florida to Delaware.

On Monday, September 28, 2015, Judge Steven John sentenced Anthony Fraser, Rivera’s co-defendant, to 22 years in prison after Fraser pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter, armed robbery and first degree burglary.

The criminal cases regarding the two other men’s roles in the home invasion are still pending.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly