City of Myrtle Beach kicks off off-season with road projects - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

City of Myrtle Beach kicks off off-season with road projects

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The City of Myrtle Beach is constantly looking for ways to beautify downtown and make it more efficient, and this week work will pick up again on putting utility lines underground.

As tourists leave town, construction crews roll in. The underground utility work along Ocean Boulevard is part of a three-year project to improve the safety and appearance of downtown Myrtle Beach.

City spokesman Mark Kruea says 53 blocks have been completed and there are seven left. Crews are digging up the road, moving all the utilities underground, and then updating the road, sidewalks, and landscaping.

This week, crews will start blocking lanes of traffic between 2nd Avenue North and 9th Avenue North along Ocean Boulevard. The actual utility work is going to happen between 5th and 9th Avenues. Those seven blocks will be down to one lane throughout the winter, according to Kruea.

Hiding utility lines underground protects them so the city is less likely to lose power in an emergency. And it also improves the overall look of the downtown area.

“We’re putting lines underground, but we’re also doing a facelift for the street as well,” says Kruea. “So while we’re digging up the road, we’re putting in new water and sewer lines, putting in conduit in the underground utilities. We’re putting in new pavement, new sidewalks, new lighting, new landscaping. So it’s a complete makeover.”

The final phase of this construction will not start until next year.

The original plan was to start this same type of work on Seaboard Street next. But according to city leaders, there is no funding for that and has been pushed back indefinitely.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Breaking

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Police release images of person of interest in Conway bank robbery, murder of 2 employees

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 2:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 18:38:59 GMT
    Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)Brandon Michael Council, wanted for questioning in connection with the robbery and murders. (Source: Conway Police)

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>

    Police have identified a person of interest in the bank robbery at CresCom Bank Monday that left two employees dead. Brandon Michael Council, 32, of Wilson, North Carolina is wanted by Conway Police for questioning, and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

    More >>
  • Breaking

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    4 teens charged for 'misguided prank' in Carolina Forest, police confirm

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:58 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:58:05 GMT
    Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)Image of the black Yukon as it was being chased through a Carolina Forest neighborhood after the alleged kidnapping attempt. (Source: Dr. Barb Horn)

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>

    Four juveniles who were reportedly involved in what police described as a “misguided prank” in Carolina Forest earlier this month have each been charged in connection with the incident, which parents in the area called an attempted kidnapping. All four juveniles will be charged with breach of peace and will be issued a juvenile summons, according to a news release from the Horry County Police Department.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    WATCH: Facebook Town Hall with Rep. Tom Rice

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:38 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:38:37 GMT
    (Source: rice.house.gov)(Source: rice.house.gov)

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>

    U.S. Representative Tom Rice is hosting a series of town hall-style events this week; one of his stops was right here at WMBF News. Anchor Michael Maely sat down with the congressman to get your questions answered live on the WMBF News Facebook page and on WMBFNews.com.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly