MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Flood prevention is extremely beneficial and can save you hundreds of dollars in the future. It's a good idea to follow some tips to prevent damage to your home. Below are some helpful tips from today's homeowner to follow:
- Inspect and repair your roof. A leaky roof can cause more damage to your house. Roof leaks keep attic insulation wet, which can lead to rot and mold. Having a roofing contractor inspect your roof to check for leaks can prevent damage down the road.
- Document your possessions. Keeping inventory or personal possessions such as: backing up documents, video, and photos, Keep them in a waterproof container stored high away from water and put backup copies in a safe.
- Trim your trees. This will prevent storm damage to your home and prevent breaking and crashing through the roof or damaging siding during a storm. Get rid of dead limbs on plants too.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. It’s important to keep your gutters clean, repair any leaks, and check regularly to see that they are draining properly.
- Guard your foundation and basement to help keep your basement dry and prevent flooding around your home. Make sure the ground slopes away from your homes foundation by at least 6”. Consider having a sump pump installed in your basement to remove groundwater.
- Protect HVAC Equipment and Appliances. Flooding can also damage furnaces and air conditioning units so make sure to install above level.
- Electrical systems components including service panels, meters, switches, and outlets should all be raised one foot or above the base flood elevation.
- Washers and dryers should be placed in cinder blocks one foot above the base foot elevation.
For more information on how to protect your home, visit here
Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.