The following is from High Meadows Vineyard Inn's website regarding High Meadows Vineyard Inn Essay Contest, which can be found at http://www.highmeadows.com/ :
There is a $150 Entry Fee and $4.95 processing fee per application.
OFFICIAL RULES for the High Meadows Inn Essay Contest
1) ESSAY TOPIC: In 300 words or less, address this query:
High Meadows is a historic property, listed as a Virginia Landmark and on the National Historic Register. Over the years, several families have called High Meadows home, each one adding their vision to the landscape that makes up this idyllic hilltop. High Meadows has been a newlywed couple's first home, a prosperous local family's second home, a working farm, a vineyard, a full service country inn and our own home and B&B. What is your dream, your vision? What could you do with 13 acres, 9 bedrooms, a giant kitchen, and vineyard infrastructure? What WOULD you do? Please tell us, in no more than 300 words, why you are the right person to take High Meadows into the future. Be specific, be creative, and be bold!
2) ELIGIBILITY: The Essay Contest may be entered by anyone world-wide who is eighteen years of age or older, unless prohibited by law. The panelists, judges, Owner, former owners, employees, and the immediate families of those previously mentioned are disqualified and may not participate as an entrant. Multiple entries, with multiple fees, by an individual are permitted. An individual may not enter on another person's behalf.
3) AUTHORIZE.NET: All entrants must use the Authorize.net link on the online entry form found at www.highmeadows.com if paying the entry fee via credit card or bank account. There will be a convenience fee for online entry of $4.95.
4) ENTRY BY US POSTAL MAIL: Essay may be typed or legibly hand-written on one standard size sheet of paper and with a copy of the entry form or the same information legibly hand-written on a separate sheet of standard size paper. Entry by US Postal Mail Service must also include two (2) stamped, self-addressed envelopes, and a money-order or certified check made out to High Meadows Inn Essay Contest in the amount of $150.00 usd (One Hundred Fifty US Dollars). Mail to: High Meadows Essay Contest, 55 High Meadows Lane, Scottsville VA 24590.
5) ESSAY ENTRY FEE AND ENTRY MINIMUM: Each entry must include an entry fee in the amount of $150 usd (One Hundred Fifty US Dollars). All entries shall be deemed received whether or not they adhere to the Technical Requirements as set forth herein. Owner reserves the right, at Owner's sole discretion, to award no prize and retain ownership of the Inn, if fewer than 5,800 entries are received. In the event Owner makes this election, all entrants shall receive a full refund of their $150 entry fees (but not any other amounts). Otherwise, absolutely no refunds shall be made by reason of non-compliance, or for any other reason whatsoever. Entry fees shall be held in a High Meadows Inn Essay Contest account until the determination had been made regarding the minimum number of entries.
6) JUDGES: A Selection Panel, which may or may not include the Owner, will select the top 25 essays. These 25 will be judged by 3 Judges, not related to the Owner, and not having a vested interest in High Meadows. A Winner and First and Second Runner-Up will be determined by the Judges. The names of the Judges shall not be released except as legally required. Each essay which meets the Technical Requirements as set forth herein shall be judged by the Selection Panel and the 3 Judges on the basis of creativity, thought, and conveyance of the desire to run such a property, and live in Central Virginia.
7) TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Each entry shall A) Consist of a formal or informal essay, song, poem or other prose 300 words or less in English; B) be typed, printed, or legibly hand-written on one side of white standard sized paper, or entered online; C) include either the online entry form, or if by US Postal Mail include on a separate standard sized sheet of paper the entrant's name, address, date of birth, telephone numbers, and entrant's signature, and also include two (2) self-addressed stamped envelopes, which shall be used for acknowledgement of receipt of entry, and for any refund provided in accordance with Rule #5; D) NOT include any identifying information within the essay, as entrants shall be anonymous to the Selection Panel and to Judges. Entries that do not satisfy these Technical Requirements will not be eligible for the contest prize.
8) DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: The deadline for entry is 11:59pm EST November 30, 2015. All entries must be received by that time to be considered for essay contest. Responsibility for lost, late, or misdirected entries rest solely with the entrant.
9) DEADLINE FOR DETERMINATION OF WINNING ESSAY: The Winner will be chosen on or before December 25th, 2015 along with the First and Second Runners -Up, and will be notified on December 25th, 2015 via telephone. The Winner will have fifteen (15) days from the date of being notified either to accept the property or to refuse the contest prize in writing. If the Winner refuses in writing to accept the contest prize, then it will awarded to the First Runner-Up. Should the First Runner-Up refuse in writing the contest prize, then it will be awarded to the Second Runner-Up.
10) DESCRIPTION OF PRIZE PROPERTY: High Meadows Inn will be transferred free and clear to the contest Winner (i.e., in being awarded the Inn, the contest Winner will not incur any mortgage, lien or accrued property tax liability). Included with the Inn are furnishings and equipment for a turnkey bed and breakfast operation. Excluded is personal property belonging to the Owner. Propane tank and fuel remain with the Inn. The Albemarle County assessed value of the property, identified on Albemarle County Tax Map as parcel 130A1-00-00-00400 is $741,100. There is no representation made by the Owner that this value or any value is in fact a Fair Market Value.
11) TAXES/FEES: The Winner shall be solely responsible for any and all taxes, including real estate transfer taxes, lawyers' fees or fees of any kind imposed upon or arising out of a successful participation in this essay contest. If the Winner refuses to accept the prize in writing, then the First Runner-Up becomes responsible for all above stated fees and taxes. Should the First Runner-Up refuse the prize property, then the Second Runner-Up shall become responsible for all of the above taxes and fees.
12) STATE, FEDERAL AND INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS: This contest is subject to the provisions of all applicable international, federal, state and local laws and regulations. This contest is void where prohibited.
13) EXTENSIONS: Owner reserves the sole right to extend the deadlines of the essay contest entry and determination of the winning entries for a period of up to sixty (60) days.
14) PRIZE TRANSFER: The transfer of the prize property must occur within thirty (30) days after the notification of the Prize winner. An extension of an additional thirty (30) days may be granted by the Owner if deemed necessary.
15) COPYRIGHT AND PUBLICATION: Essay contest entry constitutes an assignment to the Owner of all copyrights arising under both statute and the common law and all other rights derivative there from. By entering the essay contest, entrants grant further permission for Owner to publish all or part of the submitted essay and to use the entrant's name and photograph and to publicize the winning entries and the names of all the final 25 essays, all without royalty or other consideration.