Marlboro County School board chair member says superintendent called police on her

Marlboro County School board chair member says superintendent called police on her

MARLBORO COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The chair of the Marlboro County School Board stated on Facebook the district superintendent assaulted her and called police after a dispute regarding a meeting following up on threatening letters that were sent to school board members last week.

School Board Chair Lucy Parsons said on Facebook that people are still concerned about anonymous letters that were sent to board members threatening Marlboro County High School during the back-to-school convocation Friday and McColl Elementary School a week later. In her efforts to be an elected representative of the people, Parsons visited the school district office to schedule a called board meeting, she wrote.

Parsons told police in a supplemental police report that Tillar placed her hands on Parson's back and pushed her out of her office when she was trying to get the special meeting scheduled.

According to the main police report from the Bennettsville Police Department, Tillar's secretary called police to the district office on Broad Street around 3:15 p.m. Tillar said she wanted Parsons to leave because Parsons didn't follow proper procedures to hold the emergency meeting that she was requesting. Tillar said Parsons should have went directly to Tillar regarding the meeting instead of her secretary.

Marlboro County School District Public Relations Officer Dr. Henry Cobb said Tillar will not be releasing a statement on the police report.

To read the Facebook statement from Lucy Parsons, click here.

The meeting is scheduled for Thursday at 4 p.m. at the Marlboro County High School's media center, Parsons said. The meeting was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but it had to be pushed back due to issues with notifying school board members, she said.

Parsons said the purpose of the meeting is to discuss notification of McColl Elementary Middle School after the district became aware of the threats.

Parsons declined an on-camera interview Tuesday, saying she wants to wait until after the special meeting because she wants the focus to remain on security concerns at McColl Elementary Middle School.

People with family attending McColl Elementary School said they're still worried about safety days after the threats were made and even after the convocation was canceled.

"I woke up this morning. It was on my mind," RC Cummings said. "I couldn't do nothing, but go back to my bedroom, get on my knees and ask God to take care of those children. They're innocent. They have nothing to do with this."

Related story:

Copyright 2015 WMBF. All rights reserved.