2 Conway men plead guilty to drug conspiracy for roles in crack - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

2 Conway men plead guilty to drug conspiracy for roles in crack distribution ring

U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles (right), and multiple law enforcement representatives meet on April 9 to discuss the C-STAND arrests and indictments. U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles (right), and multiple law enforcement representatives meet on April 9 to discuss the C-STAND arrests and indictments.

COLUMBIA, SC (WMBF) – Two Conway men accused of involvement in a crack cocaine distribution ring, who were indicted on federal drug conspiracy charges earlier this year, pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday afternoon.

Marcus Dalton Hemingway, also known as “Face,” 36, and James Earl Spain II, both of Conway, entered pleas for drug conspiracy charges after being indicted by a federal grand jury, charging them with conspiracy to possess cocaine and crack cocaine, according to a news release from U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

Hemingway allegedly headed “LAB CITY,” a drug distribution organization based in Conway, the release states. The evidence in the case against him involved witness statements, undercover drug purchases, and the seizures of drugs and currency. The organization’s distribution of cocaine and crack in the Conway area dated back as far as the year 2000, according to the Attorney’s Office.

On April 9, multiple law enforcement agencies searched several Conway homes, seizing over $50,000 in cash and multiple firearms. Later that day, they also seized $106,000 in cash from a storage unit in Myrtle Beach, allegedly being held by a relative of Hemingway. A kilogram of cocaine was also seized from Spain, who told law enforcement he was holding it for Hemingway.

Hemingway and Spain each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, a fine of $1 million, and a three-year supervised release, according to Nettles.

Thirty-six-year-old Marco Delton Hemingway, also known as “Co-Teezy,” 40-year-old Albert Tyrone Mayes, a/k/a “JT,” and 34-year-old Robert Hemingway, Jr., a/k/a “Booda,” were also indicted by a federal grand jury earlier this year, said United States attorney Bill Nettles.

The indictments follow a year-long undercover investigation by local, state, and federal law enforcement. The indictment is part of the “C-S.T.A.N.D.” program launched in Conway in late 2013. The program, an acronym for “Conway—Starting Toward a New Direction” is an application of the Drug Market Intervention program, coordinated by the United States Attorney's Office and most recently utilized in the Charleston Farms community in North Charleston beginning in 2011.

Related Link:

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly