Residents evacuated from senior living home following fire - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Residents evacuated from senior living home following fire

Google Maps Street View image of the Agape Senior Center Google Maps Street View image of the Agape Senior Center

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - Residents at the Agape Senior Assisted Living in Conway were awoken and evacuated early Wednesday morning following an electrical fire.

The call came into the Conway Fire Department a little after 4:30 a.m. Assistant Fire Chief Jeremy Carter said an air conditioning unit caught fire in a resident’s room.

"Anytime you have high occupancy especially like a senior living facility, we consider that a high-risk occupancy due to the fact of the high number of occupants in the building," Carter said.

Workers tended to the people living there, executing their training. "The staff in a occupancy type like this, they have their code type and regulations that require them to do certain quarterly, semi-annually, annually fire and live-saving life saving evacuation training," Carter said.


Firefighters grabbed a fire extinguisher and doused the flames quickly. But there was smoke damage. Firefighters had to do smoke removal on an entire wing. Carter said 48 units in the wing were affected by the smoke.. 

Carter said the fire didn't spread, and everyone was safe. It's not always that lucky.


"In this incident the staff, they knew exactly how to do, they responded appropriately. And when the fire department personnel did arrive, it was an asset to our operation as far as assisting the residents."

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly