Officials: Improperly discarded smoking materials caused major a - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Officials: Improperly discarded smoking materials caused major apartment complex fire

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - The fire that burned 10 units at Island Green Country Club was caused by improperly discarded smoking material, said Horry County Fire Rescue Chief Brian VanAernam.

The apartment complex, Green Tree Three, burned in the Island Green Country Club on Friday evening. Two people were taken to the hospital, according to fire officials.


Ten units burned in the 1200th block of White Tree Lane, according to the Horry County Fire Rescue.

Five units were heavily damaged and there were no deaths reported.

The HCFR, Myrtle Beach fire department and Murrells Inlet-Garden City fire crews responded at 7:53 and by 8:30 they had the blaze under control.

Eight crews remained on scene past 9 p.m. Friday.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly